Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Collection Query re-design request

I am looking the issue/design from SMS 2003 to SCCM 2012 version. I am not sure if any purpose must be behind of this design of collection default query select * from sms_r_system.
    Whenever a user create the query based device collection, if there is any modification in the query
    He/she shouldn’t remove the entire query and apply OK.
    If user applies ok, its automatically select * from sms_r_system query will enabled, it will targed to all system which is “All system” as limiting collection.
    It has serious issue in most the companies, deployment is performing by L1 or L2…

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Correct the "Add Selected Items" ribbon button functionality

Currently when you select a collection(s) in the console, then utilize the "Add Selected Item" button you are able to functionally add the collection(s) selected to another collection as a member, however it does not actually add the member of the selected collection(s) to the target collection just the root collection itself.

Example A:
      1. Open Console and navigate to Administration \ Assets and Compliance \ Device Collections \ Select a collection.
      2. Click the "Add Selected Items" button and then "Add selected items to existing device collection"
      3. Select the existing collection that is to be the target

The…

79 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Create collections based on boundary group

With more and more AD admins being directed to "flatten" their sites and services, the ability to create query collections based on an AD site has become moot since boundaries are now having to be manually created by subnet or range. When a new subnet comes online or is taken off, not only does it have to be changed as a boundary and to subsequent groups but now any collections needing that range must also be updated. I'd rather one change to a group dynamically change all other collections tied to the group.

37 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • A better editor for collection query statements

Editing Query statement for Collections today is awful, the window is small and not re-sizable and it's hard to find typos and errors. A new re-sizable editor with WQL intellisense would be nice.

34 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Improve performance on queries bases on custom inventory

Many customers are adding custom hardware inventory classes and build collections on the data collected. Today the inventory tables are not indexed by default which has a negative performance effect, especially in large environments. It would be great to have an opportunity to classify the most used fileds and ceate a index on them to speed up queries.

29 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ability to assign pre/post tasks to maintenance window

Ability to assign pre/post tasks to maintenance window and prioritize content application within the window.

Example:
              1. patches
              2. appilication deployment A has higher priority than application deployment B
              3. packages
              4. task sequences
              5. settings mgmt remediation

28 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Override collection membership evaluation settings/remove collection membership evaluation settings from global data

Collections are part of global data. As such, all settings on collections are replicated from any Primary to the Central Administration Site and then down to the other Primaries again.
                This includes the membership queries, the way collection membership is evaluated (incremental, full) and when this evaluation is scheduled.

My customer's IT is arranged into different Business Division, each with a high autonomy on how to manage local workstations.
                For reasons too long to explain, some of the business divisions need a high number of collections with incremental membership evaluation. They accept that their incremental evaluation cycle lasts +25 minutes…

27 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Collection Evaluation Priority

Most of my customers have high priority collections (like OSD or important applications) and normal/low priority collections where “slow” evaluation is not a problem.
                  For those high priority collections, it would be great if you could configure that the collection evaluation always runs first, even if other collections are in the queue.
                  It would be great if you can configure the priority, like you can do it for content replication.

23 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Query tuning help by highlighting or coloring indexed fields in query rule editor

I came across many queries in Collections and found that IT-Pros use sometime fileds in their (collection) queries which are not indexed - which has a negative effect on query and collection performance. I would wish that we display the indexed values in bold or colour so you will be aware of the data which gives you better performance. In a second step we may be able to provide an alternative field if available in another attribute class.

22 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add Computer / User Collections to the Summary Pane

Add a list of the Computer or User collections to the 'Summary' pane, under Assets And Compliance \ Devices or Users.

Every time I install SCCM for a customer, I'm asked 'how do I see collections for a device or user'. I don't want to have to tell them to install third party tools, or to run a report, or the other kind of bad solutions we have today.

18 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Improve addMembershipRules implementation for large direct membership collection or provide Stored Procedure to do the same

Today we use an automated process to populate our device collections with machines from a fore-front configuration system.

After we had exceeded 250000 machines in some collections adding new machines to these large collections has become a real pain. Meanwhile it takes from 40s to 7 minutes to a add a single machine. The SCCM console cannot be used anymore for large collections. It crashes with OOM when the collection is opened or a new computer is added using right click.

Interestingly execution times don't really differ in terms of the number of machines added in one call of the…

18 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes, the direct collection logic when it was designed didn’t take 250K members into account in the design. I understand the issue & pain. Can you help me understand the scenario where you are using so many large direct membership collections? (not saying its wrong; just want to understand.)

• Add a tab to view Collection Membership

Instead of having to open the properties of a collection to view Membership Rules, we can view within the tabs. When you highlight a collection, you can view the collection membership rules (Query Based Rule and include/exclude collections) on the tabs below next to Summary, Deployments, Custom Client Settings.

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow maintenance window schedules to be applied to reboots

In scenarios where you do not want a workstation or server to be rebooted, any rogue or untrained admin with rights could deploy something to the device without suppressing reboots.

Would it be possible to allow Maintenance Windows to be applied for reboots? This would allow admins to create collections of machines that would only reboot during a set schedule and ensure that the settings cannot be overridden by a deployment.

I could also see this being done via Client Settings, but that would be 24/7 not restricted to a maintenance window.

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Create Collection by importing CSV or TXT of device/user

Many times during a project or deployment of a new software we will need to deploy to a specific set of computers. These will most of the times consists of a list of computer names in an Excel file. A native way when you create your collection to import a CSV or TXT with a list of device name to automatically populate your collection would be a very nice addition

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Increase performance of incremental collections so that the best practice limit of 200 can be increased

Incremental collections are an invaluable component of Configuration Manager 2012 that is unfortunately held back by the performance implications of having too many (based on the best practice limit of 200). While the -need- for frequent updating collections was reduced based on an applications conditions, there is still an industry preference to manage application availability using Active Directory groups. As a result, the number of collections potentially benefiting from incremental collection updates is high. I work around this by parsing collections that reference AD groups, checking if they've been updated recently and then requesting collections updates of relevant collections. This…

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add multiple Device Categories per Device

It would be nice to have the ability to add more than one device category per device. This feature could be helpful not only for MDM soltutions, but also for CMDBs or ITSM tools. Such tool could add a device category to one or more devices and the devices would be queried via device collection query. No more need for direct memberships. This would add more flexibility to collection and device management. Also no need for AD-Group discovery any more is this would be in place.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Auto-update collection when limiting collection is changed

When the limiting collection of a collection is changed the membership is not updated automatically to comply with the new limited collection. This should be changed, or there should be a notice of that when the limiting collection is changed. Thank you very much.

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Option to prevent Deployment on specific Collections

I would like to see the ability to prevent Deployments on specific Collections. (f.e. All Systems)

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        4 comments  ·  Collections  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow Active Directory Distribution Lists to be Targeted for Deployments in Collections as a Group Resource

Allow Active Directory Distribution Lists to be Targeted for Deployments in Collections as a Group Resource. Currently AD DLs are not able to be targeted, just AD Security Groups are able to be targeted.

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • collection view

When creating a collection you can specify which columns to show. If you leave this blank ConfigMgr will use a default set of columns. In ConfigMgr 1511 however it will always revert back to the default columns...
                                          When we specify which columns to show it should only show those.
                                          E.G. have a collection of Windows 10 devices and the columns could show Name (name of the client) and OS build number (10240, 10586 or 1507, 1511 etc.)

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base