Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. active directory description

Add an column to the devices view that would display Active Directory descriptions in console.

175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Noted  ·  8 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Console device view should allow search/filter by MAC address

We find ourselves trying to go from MAC address to device in the console fairly regularly, especially when troubleshooting things like PXE from the logs (which only shows MAC address) and needing to kill off failed OSD records (which may be named "Unknown" or have a random computer name in ConfigMgr, but you're now in WinPE ready to kick off the TS again, but only have the MAC from ipconfig /all to ID the old record).

The MAC addresses are already being pulled by Heartbeat inventory, but you can't search/filter of part/all of the MAC address.

Thank you for making…

51 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Better Reporting for installed software

Software normalization built into SCCM reporting. An integrated solution to manage software inventory, software intelligence and license management. As a SCCM administrator it has been difficult to provide accurate reporting on installed software packages without purchasing third party normalization tools like BDNA or SNOW. Software normalization capabilities would be a great addition to SCCM.
        1. Software Recognition Service that recognizes software requiring a license.
        2. Software title normalization.
        3. Ability to import all owned software licenses and then compare against what is actually installed.
        4. Ability to recognize when software has been removed or upgraded. Example: if Office 2010 has…

46 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Console -- Start -- client ping / mstsc with FQDN

Make clients Calls like Ping / MSTAC witrh FQDN and not with Netbios. We have different AD connected to the SCCM . We can not use the build in features like Ping the clients or open RDP as the console only tries the netbios name and not the fqdn. It would be great to have all cleints call done trought FQDN

36 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add serial number as possible unique identifier

Currently only MAC and UUID are possible as unique identifier. I understand this is because these are the only ones sent using PXE deployments. However nowadays MAC is not necceserily unique anymore (USB to LAN adapters), so it would be nice to be able to use the machine serial number as unique identifier when booting from a USB stick for example

30 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Display Last Logon Timestamp discovery data for ALL devices in console, not just clients

The lastLogonTimestamp attribute is collected during System Discovery from Active Directory. A column for displaying Last Logon Timestamp is available on device views, but only displays the lastLogonTimestamp data for devices where Client = Yes even though the data is there for devices where Client = No. (See attached screenshot from CM CB 1611)

Making a collection of "Discovered but Needs Client" devices is common during initial client deployment and while trying to get to 100% client ***********. The lastLogonTimestamp data is very useful when trying to identify devices to focus on because they've been seen by AD recently.

Please…

30 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • membership of collections

In devices screen, when we select a computer, all collections the computer is member of, should be listed in the below pane.
                Also, this feature should be available for users in users screen

24 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Manage and Disable Business Hours via Client Settings

Currently you cannot manage business hours within the console using Client Settings. We should be able to set defaults, prevent users from modifying them, and disable them altogether. Our servers do not need business hours and in a highly virtualized environment we can see a global CPU spike at 10 PM when the default Business Hours end.

22 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • IP Address Column

Add a column in the Devices section for IP address. (Simple IPv4 preferred) Also allow searching by IP address. This is a function used often and is missing from the console.

21 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • power management - shutdown/reboot/logoff

Implement a scheduled poweroff/reboot/logoff functionality so we don't depend on implementing it ourselves or 3rd party tools. I would imagine that we would be able to, per collection, schedule a daily/weekly/monthly reboot/shutdown/log off but allowing the user to post-pone x number of times if they are using the machine, etc..

15 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Hardware Inventory for User Profiles

Since ConfigMgr is now more user centric, it would be nice if user specific settings(registry) are discoverable via Hardware Inventory ( or a new inventory function. I would not consider this a DCM as we are looking to query and report on the data that is on the users profile vs a DCM which checks for compliance. Example would be something like if a user has a proxy set, what is it. Another example would be discovering all the trusted sites a user has configured. This would help us identify sites that we may need to include in a GPO…

13 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Asset Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Sorting by the Icon column should sort the different states, especially with device online/offline

Currently, when you sort by the Icon column, the items with the same state icon don't end up sorted together for some reason. With the device online/offline icons now in the console, this is an especially good time to finally fix this issue that goes back to CM12 RTM.

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Implement a software installation/Uninstallation notification

I am looking for an option to get noticed when any software installed/Uninstalled from users workstation. We are frequently getting a request for this feature from customer side.

11 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Add ability to add notes/properties to a given computer/server in SCCM console

It would be nice to be able to add a note to a asset in the sccm console. For instance, something like "this server is running so and so application and cannot have the sccm client installed. Call so and so if you have any questions." The data of course would be available as an optional column to view in the console. Maybe have user defineable data points that can become properties of the computer even though it may not have the client installed.

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Devices list should include column for MAC Address

In the drop down list for devices you should be able to choose MAC address as an option. I mean how much easier it would be to find that device which has a mac address already in the system if you could just search for it in the console directly. Today you either have to write SQL or use some other custom tool in order to search for a MAC address when configMgr has the data it needs it just needs to easily be searchable.

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Manage Delivery Optimization

With either Client Settings of something under Compliance Settings, give us the native ability to manage Delivery Optimization settings through the ConfigMgr Client. Modern apps are updated per user and directly from Microsoft. In shared device environments (think schools with lots of laptop carts), this can result in over a 1 GB of downloaded updates per device when 4-5 users share the machine each day, and ConfigMgr Distribution Points can't help us. We need to be able to easily ensure that all this traffic doesnt have to go to the internet.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • GUI frontend for editing Configuration.mof

ConfigMgr 2012 replaced sms_def.mof with a GUI editor. It would be nice to have a frontend for editing the Configuration.mof as well.

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Improve Monitor discovery in the hardware invetory

Improve Monitor discovery in the hardware invetory to know the model, serial number and resolution by default.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Compliance tab in device view

It would be great to have a tab with compliance/deployment status for a selected device.
                                        Today we can see deployments when viewing properties of a device, but no status.
                                        Having a tab next to the Summary tab, which displays deployments and the status of these on the selected device, would make it easy to see if a given device has installed all of its deployments.

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Ability to rename PCs from the console

Can the ability to rename a PC from the console be added? Currently, I have had to modify the right click tools addon to be able to do this.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base