Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable ā€˜Copy the content in this package to a package share on distribution pointsā€™ for the Application model

Using HTTP sources is currently broken for Windows (See MS case REG:117102316533973 - When an application requires a feature/needs to self heal Windows installer brings up the
    Error 123. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.) and a work around would be to use package shares however the application model does not have this.

The best solution would be a new distribution point feature that makes virtual package shares for each application not requiring extra space on the server. Otherwise enabling the same tickbox that is used for packages could be a quick win.

Reasoning:
    HTTPS MSIā€¦

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Make it possible to choose "Client Local Time" on all deployment types.

1. When deploying an application as available, it will by default be set to UTC time in the scheduling section without the ability to change it to "Client Local Time"
    2. When deploying an application as required, it will by default be set to UTC time, unless I check the "installation deadline" then I get the abillity to choose "Client Local Time"

Here in Denmark and other places in Europe UTC is a bit confusing, we always have to be aware of this when deploying applications eg. I want to deploy an application for the end users at 08:00AM thenā€¦

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Deployment Evaluation Cycle detects manually installed applications (AppDiscovery.log) but does not reflect this status in Software Center

Think about a KeePass application including a working detection method. Click "install" in Software Center, it installs and gets detected correctly.
    Now think about a user who manually installed the same KeePass version. The application is deployed to "any machine" as "available". So, this user get's it as well. But it never shows up as installed in Software Center unless I click one time on "install". Even running the "Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle" does not change the button to "uninstall" or list it as installed in "Installation Status". AppDiscovery.log shows the DeploymentType_blabla as "discovered".

We're using SCCM 1802 with allā€¦

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. PowerShell script package deployment

There should be an option for PS script in both Package and Application deployment so I don't have to create a batch file to execute an PS script with Bypass, Unrestricted etc. In the same way there's an option in OSD Task Sequence.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Build in preprovisioning for Windows UWP apps allowing the apps to be available to all users that login

Build in pre-provisioning of Windows UWP apps. This can be done via a package that calls the PS command Add-AppxProvisionedPackage or DISM /online /add-provisionedappxpackage, but it would ease admin burden and be more scriptable to have this option built into the app deployment interfaces.

This would make the app available to all users that login to the device, without having to target each user (via collection).

Pre-provisioning the app is useful for a device that will be used by multiple users; for example, airlines using Surface devices for the flight crew and gate workers.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Approval Requests Overhaul

The ability to add a note, and send a notification to the user if more information for their approval is required. Rather than denying it, and requiring them to re-submit, why not keep a single chain open?

Would also be nice if Approval instructions could be given for individual applications, informing the user the steps required for approval to be given. like submitting a ticket to a specific group, supplying approval from a manager.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Add option to wait for all child processes when installing new application

Add an option to wait for all child processes of the Installation program when creating an Application Deployment Type. This should function similarly to the -Wait option in PowerShell's Start-Process function.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to change the collection for a deployment

Would like the ability to change the collection for a deployment instead of having to create a new deployment.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Pass parameters to detection method script

Creating a functional detection method is by far the most important, and potentially challenging thing people have to do when they start out with the application model, when the app is not an msi.

Most of our customers do use a consistent way of registering their sccm-based installations, whether that be in registry, wmi or just in the file system.

Passing parameters like the app name, dt name, and their respective guids to the script based option in a dection method would allow one to create a uniform detection method that just "always works".

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. Include ability to turn off Application Revisions

Not everyone has a use case for Application revisions. For those not needing it, application revisions just add complexity and unnecessary additional operational processes and workload.

It would be nice if this could be enabled / disabled either in general via a setting in the product; or on a per application basis.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Display this as a featured app and highlight in *Software Center*

Now we have the lovely shiny new Software Center with beautiful 500x500 icons, it would be excellent if we could pin\highlight featured applications to the top row in the available applications list. Even better if it were to be configurable like the Windows 10 Start Menu, and have the size you want it to be (i.e how many spaces to take up).

Would be great if the current "Display this as a featured app and highlight in company portal" tick box could be rejuvenated with this.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Installation behavior: install for user with admin-privileg

The must users in our company working without admin-privileg.

We install the software all the time with SYSTEM-Option on the "installation behavior"-field.

Some software (Plugins for Office, Dynamics, Certificate) have after the installation a shortcut-icon with admin privileg.

I need a option to install the software as a user with admin-privileg.

For example: installation behavior - install for user with admin-privileg

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Increase Application Dependency Chain limit from 5-10

Currently the supported limit for dependent applications is five.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/apps/deploy-use/create-applications#bkmk_dt-depend

I would like to propose an increase of that limit from 5 to 10. Generally speaking a Task Sequence would be ok for handling large numbers of order specific applications, however there are limitations to using a TS for deployment in a large scale environment.
    We often find that we are pushing close to the limit of 5 in applications that require things like ".net,odbc, VS debugging,C++ redist, MS DB engine" and so on. When multiple core techs are required at a specific version having a limit of 5 makesā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Application Catalog - get rid of the web frame

The GUI of the Application Catalog shows scroll bars when the display is scaled to 150% or 200%. Use a scalable HTML 5 web page. Especially when this page is used on a Surface Pro 4 (which is scaled by default to 200%) it works very bad, the user has to scroll to see the whole page.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  15. Show Dependent Applications

In SCCM, it is possible to show Software Depedencies for an application. However, it is not possible to show applications which depend on a specific application (i.e. which applications depend on Oracle Client, Java Runtime, Microsoft .NET etc.). This would be valuable to decide whether the application can be retired.

Peter van der Woude provided a PowerShell based solution in 2013 which could be used as a starting point:
    https://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/showing-dependent-applications-in-configmgr-2012-via-powershell/

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add ability to deploy applications / packages with task sequence methodology

Many times we have to deploy applications that are made up of various applications and post application changes. I want to have the ability to deploy applications in a task sequence style format. Basically PDQ Deploy.

Building packages, scripts, applications would be much easier.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. More than one ProductCode in Application Source Management

For each Deployment Type, you can set one MSI ProductCode to give Source Management in hand of SCCM. If there is more than one MSI inside my installation (if i use a wrapperscript oder something else) I cannot manage my installationsource of the second msi.

Perhabs, you can add a grid like dependencies to add more than one msi product code into a application or package

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Installation Priority

I would love to be able to assign priority to items that are being or have been deployed. Similar to the idea of distribution priority. This would ideally be an option for anything deployable, such as software updates, task sequences, and/or applications.

I do a lot of testing. We have various things deployed to collections that computers will always be a part of. It's very frustrating to get stuck behind a string of security updates when I am rebuilding a machine to test it fresh. It would be nice to attach a higher priority to an item so it willā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow an application to install interacively IF a user is logged on; otherwise install without interaction

Currently, in order to allow an application to have interaction, you need to select the option to install "Only when a user is logged on". It would be better if it allowed interaction if the user is logged on, but install without interaction if NO user is logged on. When running an MSI with /qb, you want interaction because the installer may need to prompt the user to close an application. However, if no user is logged on then it doesn't matter and interaction is not necessary.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add 'Content Source Location' link to the summary for packages and application

I very, very commonly have to just into a particular package's source files to adjust scripts, add new files, etc. Just today for instance.

My work flow today is to go to Software Library\packages\Find the package\Right-click\choose 'Properties' and then I get the Package Source Location from there.

Today, the summary page for packages and applications is pretty barren. Let's put a link to the package source location right here!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base