Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Approval Requests - change relation from GUID to Device Name

is it possible to change that relationship of request and device from GUID to device name, or even Hardware ID, something that is constant. In perfect environment it is ok, but in the though reality large environments struggling with many issues. One is that Clients are registered with new GUIDs for many reasons. When request is approved and then this relation ship is lost, because new account for the same machine, users are asked to re-request the same app. It has even more impact with new features when we can push software automatically and remove as well. Worst scenario possibleā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Separate settings for aplication installs and uninstalls

Sometimes naughty programs require user input for uninstalls, yet their installs can be done automatically. These user input windows will often not appear for the account that is logged in. For these types of applications, it would be nice if we could specify their install be done as system, and uninstall be done as user. So I think the install and uninstall should each have separate settings in the application user experience tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Package Properties and Package monitoring nodes to open in same pane

Allow Package Properties and Package monitoring nodes to open in same pane. Going between Monitoring and back to Packages and/or Application for Source location to view Content Status vs. the Content is somewhat unproductive. When I go to a package, and View Status, it takes me away from my package.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Deployment specific maintenance windows

Add an option on the User Experience tab for all deployments to specify a maintenance window that overrides all other windows and only applies to that particular deployment. The deployment should not run during any other maintenance windows available to the system if you configure this option either. This maintenance window should only be available for this deployment and not any other deployments targeted to the system.

This would be a good option if you're generally loose with your maintenance windows to allow deployments more chances to run, but if you need to restrict a particular deployment to only runā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Deployment Types - Installation Program Arguments

Keep the current single box for 'Installation Program' and ' Uninstall Program' under the 'Programs' tab in a deployment type... however allow admins to select 'granular' switches or arguments.

So in this option, the admin would have:
    A 'pre-program install' argument field.
    A 'program' field.
    And a 'post-program install' argument field.

The same for un-installations.

Additionally to this, I imagine the granular options will have a new window.
    This windows should also have a 'explore program' button, which when clicked brings up the potential switches or arguments for EXE / MSI / MSIX / etc. Allowing users to select theā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. office display level

Well, not really an idea. I'm on SCCM 1806. I created an Office installation using ODT. When I go to ODT, it is missing an option for Display Level. Not a big deal. I can just go to the xml file, find the display level property and change it from Full to None. Also, there are properties in the xml that don't need to be in there. I think it is more a ODT issue. For example, PinIconsToTaskbar is not required if the value is false. Anyway, I love that the tool is incorporated into SCCM. I think it saveā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Application mapping

Every organization needs to be able to rationalize and report on the licening and usage of software. Asset intelligence is a starting point, but is lacking in the ability to aggregate into a true "software catalog". We need a more native management of the families, types, versions of products.

The catalog should organize the visibility by "Publisher". So I can click on 'Microsoft' and then see all the "Products" associated with that publisher (Visio, Project, Office). When I click on a product, I should see the releases/versions associated with that product (Professional 2013, etc). When you click on the release,ā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow for available applications to be made "persistent"

Currently, an "available" application installed through the Software Center, will not be re-installed if the detection method for that application fails (for whatever reason) in the future

There should be some way to set a "persistence" flag on an "Available" application such that it is similar to being "Required" after a successful install. The only way to make such an application not re-install is if the SCCM client removes it (whether pushed centrally, or by the user uninstalling from Software Center).

Why would you want this? For a Required application, a scripted detection method designed to compare the local versionā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Ccmcache automatically deletes application install cache on detection of successful install

Update the application installers so that we can opt to delete the install from ccmcache when it has been successfully installed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Program modernization

It would be nice if programs were modernized to have some of the same features as applications. This would include being able to launch a PowerShell script without extra parameters, sharing the same requirements tab and categories section, being able to use a custom icon in Software Center, and having Windows Source Management. Maybe it would be easier to just allow applications that don't use detection methods? They obviously wouldn't be able to be used as dependencies or have supersedence. Other than that I think it could work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. SCCM How to MIGRATE Applications from one VMware SCCM 2012 R2 Server that is dying to a New VM ConfigMan 2012 R2 Server

I need to Move Applications or Migrate them from a dying VMware Server 2012 R2 to a newly built SCCM 2012 R2 VMware Server. Plain and simple, but no documentation is found.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Central maintenance of custom exit codes required.

Central maintenance of custom exit codes required.
    When using wrappers, exit / return codes must be entered in each application. This is too cumbersome and error-prone.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Support detection scripts larger than 32KB for applications

Can you increase the size for application script detection? There is currently a limit of 32KB for a PowerShell detection script. In a normal use-case a detection script would be 10 lines or less, but there are times when longer scripts can be necessary. My case in particular requires that I query device ID's on client computers. There can be thousands of unique device ID's that I may have to check, but this puts my script above the size limitation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create a Program by Right-Clicking in Program List, present a drop down menu with actions

After creating the initial program with the Create Program Wizard you should be able to right-click in the new list of programs (only 1 there initially) and get a drop down menu that has a "Create Program" item. This would avoid the extra mouse swipe to the ribbon to select that function, this would be more intuitive.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have the Content Status link for a given application or package jump directly to that package's status

Currently when viewing an Application or Package and selecting the "Content Status" link the console redirects to a list of all content, which an admin user must then navigate to find the package they just came from and finding it, click the "View Status" link for the highlighted content.
    Just skip the middle step and go directly to the specified content's status.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Application Post deployment feature

It would be beneficial to have a Post Installation feature for application deployment .
    For example If Application A and B are required however application B can only be installed after Application A. Understand Dependency can be used to achieve this however in case of inplace upgrade of Office it is advisable to remove the previous versions and then install the new version .
    A post installation feature can be useful for inplace office upgrade with all other products such as addins , Project visio can be post installed. This will considerably reduce the time for support
    Understand the workaroundā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option for deployment type only with uninstall

I would like to see an option to make a deployment type that only holds uninstall command.

My scenario is the need to superseed multiple old versions of an application I don't have the installation files for.
    Luckily the application is always installed with MSI, so I can uninstall with the GUID.
    But today ConfigMgr requires an installation command, so there is a potential risk that someone will deploy an installation.
    An uninstall only DT would be more right, in my opinion.
    I guess an option to disable the install command could be the way to do it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improve app model logging

Make it easier to troubleshoot application deployment with:
    - Consolidated log file
    - Make logging easier to understand and find the reason for failures.
    For a new SCCM Admin/Tech troubleshooting appdeployment is hard, have to understand the different log files and know which one to read.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Automate creation of Office 365 Application for new versions

Go 1 step further with the new Office Customisation Service shown a Ignite. Currently the service allows admins to create a new application installer for x version of Office. Automate this!

A common annoyance currently is that we have Office 365 packaged as an application in ConfigMgr. This application is apart of a Task Sequence to install Windows 10. At time of creation, the Office application is up to date. However, once the latest version of Office is released, this will result in the machine installing the old version during the TS, and then installing updates post build via whateverā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Add predefined action (to task sequence or application/package) to copy files/folders to user workstation (as user OR as system)

Often whole software config is a single file. It is a pain to keep creating batch files for a simple copy action

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base