Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically populate Product Code field in Deployment Type when importing MSI Application

When create an Application and import and MSI it will automatically populate the Detection Method with the Product Mode GUID. However, you still have to manually fill in the Product Code field on the Programs tab. This field is almost always a good idea if using an MSI with the application so that you can repair from Programs and Features.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatic selection of distribution point when only one is available

When a site only has one distribution point, this point should be chosen automatically when distributing content.
    There is really no need for the manual selection process.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Application/Package install at shutdown or startup

We can now update at shutdown/startup but we need to be able to do the same for Application/Package Deployment.

Some of our deployments require browsers or mail clients to be closed and getting the users to do this voluntarily is almost impossible.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Increase Comment Length

The comment boxes ('Administrator Comment' for Applications, 'Comment' for Packages, 'Description' for other things like Task Sequences) are way too short to be useful. For instance, the Comment box for a Package looks like you'll be able to type an essay, but no, 128 characters max. A comment/description should be descriptive and 128 characters is too short to get much of a description at all. I'd like to see it get increased to somewhere in the 512 characters range.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. allow custom message pop-up's for application model

now that we can kill applications with the app model, can we implement displaying custom messages\pop-up windows before the application install action, this pop-up would ask to either continue, cancel(defer the deployment), or continue on timeout. its just such a pain to wrap an application in a powershell script to achieve this. thank you.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Email Admin and/or employees with info about updates (critical etc.) and updating apps

it would be nice, if i can configure to send email to admins and/or employees if there are critical updates, start upgrade applications or inform the admin about available Windows updates to give info to my employees. in this case all users are informed about security Impacts and that i install updates on their machines.

like : http://www.tachytelic.net/2007/08/windows-update-automatic-e-mail-notification/

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Completely overhaul the application model to be a sequence of actions set within system or user context, rather than a single command.

I'll be upfront: being completely new to SCCM, the reason I propose this is I've been using Zenworks Configuration Management for the last 10 years. I'm not here to complain but rather to propose ideas that would improve the SCCM experience for system administrators and end-users alike.

For starters, right now what I am discovering is that Applications in SCCM only support one command for installation, and one for uninstallation. I suppose that if you are deploying a MSI and you can easily implement any customisation and user settings in the form of a MST file you are good toā€¦

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow multi-language packages to be chosen by the user

Some packages (example, Office365) have multi language options. Deploying Office 365 is a pain, as you either make multiple applications (one for each language) using the same source folders, or run it as a task sequence to pick the language based on variables, or have separate packages, using a bucket load of disk space on the servers. Could we not have an option to set it so when a deployment reaches a PC, the user can select which one they want, and just run that? I don't know about anyone else, but we have some users in other countries thatā€¦

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Give the possibility to install applications as System or Administrator or User

Add the possibility to set up an administrator account or service account to install applications instead of system account. Some applications are failing while the installation with the System account because of missing folders or access rights. For example CRM 2013 have some trouble to install all dependencies silently with the System account. As User with adminrights it works like a charm

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to Rename Programs within Packages

In Software Library > Packages...

When you create a new package or import an MSI there are predetermined "Programs" that are labeled "Per-system unattended" or "Per-user unattended" it would be great to have the ability to rename these existing programs. The only option currently is to delete the program and recreate it.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. dynamic application install fails if an app fails

I have made a "function" that searches the SQL-database for applications which the computer will see as required in Software Center once installed. With the resulting list I create the variable needed to install these in the step "Install Applications" with the option "Install Application according to dynamic variable list".
    With the option "If an application installation fails, continue installing other applications in the list" selected i see that the step fails to execute if an application does not have "Allow this application to be installed from the 'Install Application' task sequence action without being deployed".
    The execution of theā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Software Restricted Country control

Some Software cannot exist or run in a given country due to encryption levels or other export rules.

1.Grant the ability to Flag a package/Application or Content for Software rules. ex RSID00001
    2. Boundary Groups - assign ID to boundary group to block software Deployment to any machine inside the boundary, grant the ability to force the Uninstall of the Application should the machine exist in the Boundary group.
    3. If not using Boundary Group then allow the ID to be assigned to a Collection, same behavior for no deployment of certain software titles match the block ID, also allowā€¦

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add option "File/folder/registry item DOES NOT exist" to application detection rules

Sometimes you just need to have an app that is detected successfull when something is not existing. Delete files or registry keys etc. It would be nice if there was a logical operator in app detection to select a file and then mark a box "NOT" or "DOES not exist" to tell the detedetection system that we are done when thi thing does not exist anymore.
    Now we need to use ps-scripts (to return something when file is not detected and nothing when it is detected) to achieve this, like:

$strFileName="c:\temp\test.txt"
    If (Test-Path $strFileName){

}Else{return $true}

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  14. Deployment Type with version when auto creating DT

There are multiple places where a reference to an application is only with GUID and DT name. E.g. logs.
    If the DT name had version number in the name, it would easy to see what application is referenced when you have more than one version of a product and thereby more applications.

When creating an application for a Windows Installer, it would be great to have the automatic DT creation process to include the version, if provided, in the DT name.

In addition, if the creation of a script installer DT could include the names and versions from the applicationā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  15. Right click Applications and Packages for open datasource

If I want to edit the source files for a package I open the properties goto Data Source Tab, copy the sourcefolder and paste it in the explorer to go the source.

If I want to edit the source files for an application I open the properties of a deployment type, goto Content location, copy and past the content for edit the source.

It would be nice to right click a package or application to open the source folder directly

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow for inter-dependencies among Applications, Packages, and Software Updates

For example, add a Package and Software Update as a Dependency for an Application.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Under Software Library --> Applications, ability to jump down to an application by typing the first few letters of the application name.

Under Software Library --> Applications, ability to jump down to an application by typing the first few letters of the application name. This can be done in other modules in the Configuration Manager. I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented in the Applications module. This is much quicker to jump down to the right application instead of using the Search bar or scrolling down.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Check for running exe and is in Presentation mode

in current Technical Preview is integrated the Check for running exe.
    But as an improvement it will usefully to integrate the Check for Client is in Presenation mode.
    Like the PSapp Deployment Toolkit. with this two things, it will greatly improve the development time of Deployment of Applications.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Application deployment is available/required depending if a user is logged on or not

I'd like to create an application deployment that is available when a user is logged on and it would be automatically required if a user is not logged on.

This is needed when application deployment can happen only if some process is not running. In 1702 you can close some running process, which helps the problem. However, there are situations when you cannot close the conflicting processes, because the user might lose some data. In these scenarios, you need a way to initiate the deployment immediately, when the user logs off or if there are no user logged on.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. SCCM Packages - Install another program first does not respect "Only when no user is logged on" while one has setting "Allow software insta

SCCM Packages - Install another program first does not respect "Only when no user is logged on" while one has setting "Allow software installation outside of maintenance window when assignment time is reached"
    I deployed one Package that had to uninstall first old version of the program and the install the new version, Only when user is logged off. Only uninstallation worked while user was logged on=fail. There was no deadline for the installation and Maintenace Window was 16.00-06.00.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base