Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow custom message pop-up's for application model

now that we can kill applications with the app model, can we implement displaying custom messages\pop-up windows before the application install action, this pop-up would ask to either continue, cancel(defer the deployment), or continue on timeout. its just such a pain to wrap an application in a powershell script to achieve this. thank you.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Installation Priority

I would love to be able to assign priority to items that are being or have been deployed. Similar to the idea of distribution priority. This would ideally be an option for anything deployable, such as software updates, task sequences, and/or applications.

I do a lot of testing. We have various things deployed to collections that computers will always be a part of. It's very frustrating to get stuck behind a string of security updates when I am rebuilding a machine to test it fresh. It would be nice to attach a higher priority to an item so it willā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Delay detection method after application deployment with suppressed reboot

Whenever you suppress reboot for an application deployment by changing it to "no action" or changing 3010 to "success (no reboot)" (poor man solution for us without approved maintenance windows), the deployment rules are run immediately which will fail when it's ex. a Windows hotfix deployment which only updates the files at restart.

It would be great to have an option to suppress reboot for an application without maintenance windows, while making the detection method wait until next restart like it does when using restart countdown.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide the ability to set an "expiration date" on a DEPLOYMENT

Even thought Applications are state based there are still use cases when a deployment could be expired so that no future deployments of that application will occur. Either an expiration or the use of automatically disabling the deployment, since Software Updates could be disabled so should Software Application Deployments. The reason to keep the deployment would be for reporting so a way to disable or expire would be ideal if state based is not needed.

The sms_applicationassignment WMI class exposes an ExpirationTime property which actually removes deployments from App Catalog but it does not work with software center.

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Add option "File/folder/registry item DOES NOT exist" to application detection rules

Sometimes you just need to have an app that is detected successfull when something is not existing. Delete files or registry keys etc. It would be nice if there was a logical operator in app detection to select a file and then mark a box "NOT" or "DOES not exist" to tell the detedetection system that we are done when thi thing does not exist anymore.
    Now we need to use ps-scripts (to return something when file is not detected and nothing when it is detected) to achieve this, like:

$strFileName="c:\temp\test.txt"
    If (Test-Path $strFileName){

}Else{return $true}

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Qucik Deployment for a single application to a single machine

I'd like to be able to do a quick deployment to a single machine. Similar to how EMCO Remote installer and PDQ Deploy works. I right-click on the target machine and click on install. I guess this would be similar to installing the ConfigMgr Client by right-clicking on a machine.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. App Model Optional User deployment behavior

App Model - Optional User Deployment - When user policy is recieved, perform app eval to check if app is installed, if so show as installed in Software Center. (Currently it doesn't evaluate and shows option to install even if already present. When you click the install button... it then performs the evaluation and changes to installed and provides the uninstall button. This is confusing to our end users)

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Variable for the package cache path

It would be great to have a variable you can use in the Installation/Uninstallation Program, for use with installations that need a full path for an answer file. Like an InstallShield iss file.
    I have a great deal of other installers that have their own answer files and most need a full path for the file.
    So instead of having a full path for a network share it would be great to be able to use a variable that have the path for the local cache for the application. E.g. C:\Windows\ccmcache\2n
    I have tried %CD%, which works in the commandā€¦

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. detection

The detection rule when you use a a profile based variable like %localappdata% fails, Is it possible to fix this issue.

We have user logging into different machines and we want them to get those setting to their profile to whichever machine they login to. We have tried using in SCCM but during detection it always resolves the path to C:\Users\Default.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. Show Dependent Applications

In SCCM, it is possible to show Software Depedencies for an application. However, it is not possible to show applications which depend on a specific application (i.e. which applications depend on Oracle Client, Java Runtime, Microsoft .NET etc.). This would be valuable to decide whether the application can be retired.

Peter van der Woude provided a PowerShell based solution in 2013 which could be used as a starting point:
    https://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/showing-dependent-applications-in-configmgr-2012-via-powershell/

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Automatically populate Product Code field in Deployment Type when importing MSI Application

When create an Application and import and MSI it will automatically populate the Detection Method with the Product Mode GUID. However, you still have to manually fill in the Product Code field on the Programs tab. This field is almost always a good idea if using an MSI with the application so that you can repair from Programs and Features.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Retiring Applications

Allow 'Retiring' applications that in fact stop being deployed, without having to remove the 'Deployments' that contain tracking data about their previous installations.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Run a GPUPDATE after Application Install Option

In some instances, it would be valuable to have an application to silently run a "gpupdate /force" once the application installation has completed (and potentially before it hands off for the detection method). In the past if I've had a need for this I've had SCCM trigger a reboot on completion of the installation, but I'd rather not have this as it impacts the user.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to schedule the deletion of applications in Retired State

I would like the ability to change the default 60 day time limit that deletes applications that are in a retired state. Would be great to have the ability to change that setting added under maintenance tasks.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Select Multiple Applications for Single Deployment

I have a very simple idea. We should have the ability to select multiple applications for a single deployment to a group.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Application Lifecycle Management options in Console

One of the big struggles at many companies is not putting application IN SCCM, but having a proper process to retire old applications and do regular cleanup. So it would be good to have some options to automate the process when retiring applications.

- having the content for retired applications automatically removed from all distribution points
    - having the files/folders removed from the content source location
    - having the retired applications deleted from SCCM after the cleanup completed.

I know there are some PowerShell scripts out there and console extensions but it would be nice to have this as aā€¦

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Changing In-use Global Conditions

Currently, a Global Condition cannot be changed or deleted if it is in use in any existing revision of an application. This makes testing a new global condition or fixing an existing global condition extremely cumbersome, either resulting in many duplicates being created or many revisions of the application being deleted every time the global condition must be changed.

While it is beneficial to make it difficult to break an existing application by preventing the global condition from changing, ultimately, SCCM users need the freedom to determine when it is appropriate to change an existing Global Condition on their own.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix 'CI Version Info Timed Out' error

My applications are successfully installing on client devices however the Console is showing an error for the deployment in the monitoring section. The only description of the error is 'CI Version Info Timed Out'. I have tried all the workarounds found online.
    - Deleting and recreating a package to reset the revision number
    - Deleting deployment and recreating deployment
    - Updating collection and redistributing content

Nothing works permanently the errors come right back

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  4 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. Evaluate App Requirements at App Uninstall

Consider an app with multiple deployment types using different requirement rules filtering on items such as platform (x86, x64, APP-V, etc). When the app is configured the requirement logic is evaluated and the proper deployment type executed.

Suppose that the deployment type selected was specific for x64 systems and also that the deployment type is the third deployment type in the list. Assume also that each of the three deployment types supports an uninstall command.

If the user goes into software center and manually selects to uninstall everything works as expected and the specific deployment type is removed. If, instead,ā€¦

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  3 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Application approval for a DEVICE collection

Currently Configmgr supports Administrative approval for an application only on USER collections. I'd like it to also support this on DEVICE collections. We base our deployments on Devices rather than users. I would like some kind of approval process for certain applications.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
1 2 6 8 10 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base