Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the 🙂 button in the top right corner and choose “Send a Frown”. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WebApp

It would be nice to be able to define the location a WebApp is placed. Similar to how GPO preferences, we should be able to choose the location such as start menu, desktop, or a folder within such locations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Application Deployment Review & Authorisation

The is no current authorisation process around application deployments with the SCCM console. It would be good to see new application deployments drop into an authorisation section of the console to enable line management or approved persons/role to review and authorise for final release to the estate. This should avoid deployments being released in error or incorrectly packaged. This would align with ITIL change management.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Behaviour when deleting a deployment

When deleting a deployment from the packages pane, we seem to be bounced to the deployment monitoring page.

This makes no sense to me, especially when 9 times out of 10 I'm just going to head back to the package to re-create a deployment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the ability to elevate the User but, not in the System context.

There should be a check box for User Based installations to elevate the user during the installation process. There may have to be something to disallow activity outside the installation process for security reasons. There is a problem getting user profile data to the user's profile AT INSTALLATION TIME and keeping uninstallation functionality. The user won't have rights to install the machine portion or uninstall the application without it, as a user based installation. Active Setup and working the default user profile are not great solutions for this and don’t populate the user’s profile running as local system at installation…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Email Admin and/or employees with info about updates (critical etc.) and updating apps

it would be nice, if i can configure to send email to admins and/or employees if there are critical updates, start upgrade applications or inform the admin about available Windows updates to give info to my employees. in this case all users are informed about security Impacts and that i install updates on their machines.

like : http://www.tachytelic.net/2007/08/windows-update-automatic-e-mail-notification/

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Completely overhaul the application model to be a sequence of actions set within system or user context, rather than a single command.

I'll be upfront: being completely new to SCCM, the reason I propose this is I've been using Zenworks Configuration Management for the last 10 years. I'm not here to complain but rather to propose ideas that would improve the SCCM experience for system administrators and end-users alike.

For starters, right now what I am discovering is that Applications in SCCM only support one command for installation, and one for uninstallation. I suppose that if you are deploying a MSI and you can easily implement any customisation and user settings in the form of a MST file you are good to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Distribution package with no sources

The scenario which I am able to duplicate is:
    Create package with sources, distribute it and wait for successful distribution. Uncheck option that the package has sources and then we can see that DP is still trying to distribute the package.
    Properties of package can be changed by mistake but if the product is not working like there should not be possible to change the package properties - uncheck the option that package has sources should be not possible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Put the 'Allow program to be installed from task sequence without being advertised' checkbox in the wizard for Application and Package crea

I'm fed up of missing this option when deploying out. It would be really nice to have this in the wizards for app and package creation rather than being an after thought.

Cheers
    Paul

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Application deployment is available/required depending if a user is logged on or not

I'd like to create an application deployment that is available when a user is logged on and it would be automatically required if a user is not logged on.

This is needed when application deployment can happen only if some process is not running. In 1702 you can close some running process, which helps the problem. However, there are situations when you cannot close the conflicting processes, because the user might lose some data. In these scenarios, you need a way to initiate the deployment immediately, when the user logs off or if there are no user logged on.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. notification for updated windows store for business apps

I love the Windows store for Business integration within SCCM. It makes my job considerably easier since my company's IT Security team doesn't want the store to be open. It would be highly beneficial to be able to set up an alert for when a Store app gets updated. This would allow a more seamless experience for our users.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Separate settings for aplication installs and uninstalls

Sometimes naughty programs require user input for uninstalls, yet their installs can be done automatically. These user input windows will often not appear for the account that is logged in. For these types of applications, it would be nice if we could specify their install be done as system, and uninstall be done as user. So I think the install and uninstall should each have separate settings in the application user experience tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improvement of Application Delete check

When you want to delete an application, here are the checks that is done :

1.Number of dependent applications
    2.Number of active deployments
    3.Number of dependent task sequences
    4.Number of virtual environments
    5.number of settings

That's is all good, but one point has been forgotten: Supersedence.

Currently it is possible to delete an application even it is in supersedence chain. Which is not very good. If you let an applications in supersedece chain to get delete then in supersedece tab you have something like :

ScopeIdxxxxxx/Applicationxxxx

And this confuses the client when it comes to install this application.

…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add a tab that reveals content locations for Applications

Add a tab at the bottom of the Console window (viewable while under the Software Library tab) that shows content locations for the currently highlighted app. This tab would appear beside the "Deployment Types" tab and the "Deployments" tab. This would allow admins to easily see where the content has already been distributed, without having to open the application.

While visiting content locations on this tab, one could right-click on a location (or highlight multiple locations) and choose to redistribute content.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow multi-language packages to be chosen by the user

Some packages (example, Office365) have multi language options. Deploying Office 365 is a pain, as you either make multiple applications (one for each language) using the same source folders, or run it as a task sequence to pick the language based on variables, or have separate packages, using a bucket load of disk space on the servers. Could we not have an option to set it so when a deployment reaches a PC, the user can select which one they want, and just run that? I don't know about anyone else, but we have some users in other countries that…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Option to pre-download the media for 'Available' app deployments before users see the advertisement

A feature I would like to see is when you 'advertise' an application (i.e. make it 'Available' instead of 'Required') on Software Center, that there should be an option for pre-downloading the content before the users see the notification that it is available for install. This is useful in those environments where we have slower links. If the app media is large, then currently users have to wait for a long time after they click 'Install' to download and install it. If downloading is done before user knows about the availability then it is much more convenient and faster.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. dynamic application install fails if an app fails

I have made a "function" that searches the SQL-database for applications which the computer will see as required in Software Center once installed. With the resulting list I create the variable needed to install these in the step "Install Applications" with the option "Install Application according to dynamic variable list".
    With the option "If an application installation fails, continue installing other applications in the list" selected i see that the step fails to execute if an application does not have "Allow this application to be installed from the 'Install Application' task sequence action without being deployed".
    The execution of the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Software Restricted Country control

Some Software cannot exist or run in a given country due to encryption levels or other export rules.

1.Grant the ability to Flag a package/Application or Content for Software rules. ex RSID00001
    2. Boundary Groups - assign ID to boundary group to block software Deployment to any machine inside the boundary, grant the ability to force the Uninstall of the Application should the machine exist in the Boundary group.
    3. If not using Boundary Group then allow the ID to be assigned to a Collection, same behavior for no deployment of certain software titles match the block ID, also allow…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Deployment Type with version when auto creating DT

There are multiple places where a reference to an application is only with GUID and DT name. E.g. logs.
    If the DT name had version number in the name, it would easy to see what application is referenced when you have more than one version of a product and thereby more applications.

When creating an application for a Windows Installer, it would be great to have the automatic DT creation process to include the version, if provided, in the DT name.

In addition, if the creation of a script installer DT could include the names and versions from the application…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Right click Applications and Packages for open datasource

If I want to edit the source files for a package I open the properties goto Data Source Tab, copy the sourcefolder and paste it in the explorer to go the source.

If I want to edit the source files for an application I open the properties of a deployment type, goto Content location, copy and past the content for edit the source.

It would be nice to right click a package or application to open the source folder directly

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Under Software Library --> Applications, ability to jump down to an application by typing the first few letters of the application name.

Under Software Library --> Applications, ability to jump down to an application by typing the first few letters of the application name. This can be done in other modules in the Configuration Manager. I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented in the Applications module. This is much quicker to jump down to the right application instead of using the Search bar or scrolling down.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base