Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pre-Caching only items that pass the "options" check for a device

This a two part request actually
    1. The ability to use the content already downloaded into the ccmache folder, rather than duplicating the required disk space by copying the content from ccmcache to _SMSTaskSequence\Packages during the TS execution.

2. The ability for an in place upgrade Task Sequence with Pre-caching enabled to run the option checks on the TS steps (like WMI queries for driver packages) so that the device only downloads what is needed to run the upgrade on that device

The amount of additional disk space/network bandwidth required for both of these scenarios is magnitudes larger than itā€¦

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to specify the deployment type when pushing applications

One of the biggest issues I have with the new applications vs packages is the inability to specify deployment types in task sequences. I usually write 2 or 3 different DT's. One silent, one noisy (For self serve) and one uninstall.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

3. Add automatic Peer Cache prefill task sequence synchronization

Behavior today: You have a OSD task sequence deployed for your "normal" client installations (from DPs) and also a dedicated prefill task sequence for pushing needed OSD content on the Peer Cache source machines.
    Now whenever you do changes in the "normal" TS you also have to change content and/or steps in the prefill TS manually. If you forget it, clients may download content remotely or OSD fails.
    I would like to propose an automatism, e.g. right-click on the "normal" TS, with a command to synchronize all changes with the selected prefill TS.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Reboot during Inplace Upgrade TS breaks the Processing

If for some reason the machine is rebooted while the Inplace Upgrade is running (ModernHostSetup.exe), the task sequence is not picked up again and stays for ever in "on progress".
    The TS should detect an unwanted reboot and retry/proceed as it is possible to select with Updates.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. Remote desktop for WinPE

Provide the ability to remotely view/control a remote WinPE desktop. I need this for troubleshooting.
    I normally remotely reboot a client which ends up in WinPE.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. UEFI video resolution

Not sure if this impacts multiple vendors, but Lenovo ThinkPad have this issue. When PXE booting a UEFI enabled system, the video resolution is very low (640x480 or 800x600). This may be a vendor issue, but if there is anything Microsoft can do that would be awesome. Having the resolution so low makes using MDT and other frontends difficult to use as parts of the dialog are off the screen.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Store output of run command line to TSEnv with "RunAsUser".

Running a step as a user prevents you from using the TSEnvironment in order to store any data returned.

The step could be anything, like getting a byte array of a certificate, ad-groups of the computer or primary user or as in this example, getting the TPM OwnerAuth from MBAM.

I would rather store it directly in the TSEnv instead of in a temporary file and run another script to read the file just to be able to use the password, as a variable, from a ā€œRun commandlineā€-step.

The only other workaround Iā€™ve found this far is running the stepā€¦

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow to select WinPE language pack when you generate Boot Image

It would be great to customize WinPE language pack when Generating standard or MDT Boot Image, like select box that will list lp.cab that are present in ADK installation folder "Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs"

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow MDT steps to be migrated when using the wizard

The migration wizard is not able to migrate "third-party" steps in a task sequence, including Microsoft Deployment Toolkit steps. For many of my customers this a huge blocker to have a smooth migrating experience from test to the production environment. MDT steps should not be seen as "third-party" and be migrated.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

10. Add Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade Task Sequence Reminders with an Enforced Installation Deadline

It would be great if we had the option to set a required Windows 10 in place upgrade Task Sequence with scheduled notifications for users with an installation deadline. This would allow In-Place upgrade deployments to be enforced ensuring timely Windows 10 version updates whilst allowing the end user enough time to schedule the upgrade.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Option to Remove from Domain first during Apply Network Settings

Currently there is an option during Apply Network Settings to join the computer to a specific OU. If the machine already exists, it does not move it to the OU specified. Additionally, if the machine is disabled the domain join would fail.

Adding an option to remove the workstation from the domain first before joining would correct both of these issues. It would also allow for AD group membership to be cleared in the event the workstation was moving to a new department.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Display what distribution point is being used during a task sequence.

When using a task sequence I would like to know what DP is being used since we have multiple DPs and would hope that I'm not using one on the other side of town. IE......Applying Operating System from "Distribution Point" or Installing Application from "Distribution Point."

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Updating status to started – see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explanation of values.

Our 1906.1 Technical Preview is released and contains changes adding a new variable _SMSTSLastContentDownloadLocation

For more info:
    Doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/get-started/2019/technical-preview-1906
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Filter-apps-deployed-to-devices-in-ConfigMgr-Technical-Preview/ba-p/688881

13. _SMSTSMP Variable Needs to be Dynamically Update

When pushing out mandatory Windows 10 Servicing to remote users.
    If The task sequences is run fro a PC that is vpn connected into the corporate network then the _SMSTSMP variable will be set to an intranet MP. Then the Windows 10 Servicing task sequence reboots multiple times which then the computer is now on the internet and should talk to the IBCM Management Point, but the task sequence keeps trying to send status to the intranet MP as it does not change when the client switches from intranet to Internet.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. More useful OSD failure window

It would be super helpful if the OSD failure window can actually provide useful information - rather than just the error code of the last executed step. At least also display the name of the step where the failure occurred. I often get a screenshot of the error code and that doesn't help me at all.

So often when I troubleshoot OSD, it is with computers in remote site. While walking someone over phone through launching command prompt, cd here, copy these files there, etc - it is such a tedious process.

I would love to see a way toā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow 32-bit applications to run within WinPE x64. All new Windows 10 computers ship with UEFI but to flash BIOS

Allow 32-bit applications to run within WinPE x64. All new Windows 10 computers ship with UEFI. We need to flash the system BIOS to the latest version before applying the OS but all the hardware vendors (Dell, Lenovo, etc.) only provide 32-bit BIOS upgrade programs. The 32-bit limitation also causes problems when upgrading a machine from TPM 1.2 to 2.0.

Surely WinPE 10 x64 or later will provide 32-bit application support.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. OSD support for bitlocker encryption above defaults

Currently in OSD you cannot without an additional step set up set non defaults for encryption. Please add options for the OSD steps pre provision or enable bitlocker to have options for non default encryption like xts-aes 256.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Run Task Sequence - Add Set Variable Options on Step

I'd like the option to set Variables on the Run Task Sequence Step itself. Often times I need to pass variables into the Task Sequence, which will be different based on which Parent TS is calling the Task Sequence "Module".

Currently I have to have a Set TS Variable Step right before I call the Sub Task Sequence so the Sub TS knows which steps to run, or how to run them.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Task Squences for User Collections made available.

Custom Task Sequences allow for simple WMI queries for BIOS version detection. This is a nightmare when attempting to do in an Application. I am unable to deploy this task sequence to just my IT teams, and keep it hidden from regular users.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. Be able to recover deleted task sequences.

Be able to recover deleted task sequences. In case of accidental deletion.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Task Sequence Detection Method

It would be very useful to be able to control if a Task Sequence has been "Installed" or not by adding a custom detection method like we have in the AppModel.

This is valid in scenarios where we do a bare metal required rollout and in in-place-upgrade scenarios. Combined with having different versions of a task sequence being deployed.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base