Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. browse registry

Ability to browse registry when adding Registry Conditions in Task Sequence.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Add additional OOBE options to the Apply OS Step

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be very useful to be able to customize the OOBE option in the TS through the GUI. Currently you need to create an xml file for customization with WSIM, which works, and provides a ton of options, but it would be nice to have a generic set of the most common options as checkboxes or something. If someone needs further customization they could use an XML file instead. Part of the problem is that many options are "deprecated" yet they still seem to work?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Embedded image file in Pre-Staged images should not supersede what the task says

When creating a Pre-Staged Media, the image files should be treated like any other media in that if it's not required anymore then it should be ignored and the right image file downloaded from the closest distribution point.

Scenario we have now:
    We created a Pre-Staged media last year that included Windows 10 1607. We have now moved on to 1703 but haven't had the time to go through the full testing of a new media so our OEM is still putting the pre-stage media with 1607. When the machine starts it's task sequence, when it comes to the image,ā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Upgrade Operating System Built-in Step: Add Option to Keep Files Only

Customer does not have the store installed and using the built-in TS step keeps files and apps. I know that the "OSDSetupAdditionalUpgradeOptions" variable can be used, but it would be nice to have the option on the built-in TS step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for responding.

We cannot provide a different migration options for the reasons I outlined below. Anything other than ‘Applications, Data and Settings’ will leave the machine unmanaged – while we developed the new upgrade step we tested them all.

I’ll see if I can source steps for reinstalling the Store without having to complete a restore.

5. Move the duplicate hardware id's option to a more appropriate location

Hierarchy settings does not seem to be the most appropriate location for this, engineers in the field would be adding dongle MAC addresses quite often.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. TS Menu

I currently have 3 task sequences. I want to combine all three into one task sequence and present the user with a wizard to ask, which SOE they want to install.

the way around it I have to create a powershell gui script to prompt the user and set the TS variable, then assign that variable to each group in the in task sequence. it gets messy.

I explorerd HTAs, MDT Wizards but these are difficult to adopt and implement in a timely manner.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. SMSTSPostReboot / SMSTSOnStart command

When a specific app or utility needs to be run (ex. a custom monitoring application) after each restart, it would be handy if we could put the command in a variable. The command should then be executed after each restart, before the TS continues.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Win PE + AMT Problem

Win PE Freeze on step downloading, when Intel AMT turned on and configured.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Greetings - I'd like to see some of util to help read log files. It could show the list of logs and what each one is for and click to view

Greetings - I'd like to see some of util to help read log files. It could show the list of logs and what each one is for and click to view

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We include CMTrace.exe in the boot images so logs can be read in WinPE, that tool is part of the SCCM Toolkit and can also be found on the site server under \OSD\Bin\\CMTrace.exe

For OS Deployment logs there’s a section here which helps – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427342.aspx – the main OS Deployment log is SMSTS.log

We have an open item for improving logging, copy logs etc – I’ll add your feedback to that item.

10. Add ALL reg key types as options in Task Sequence conditions

In the conditions for Task Sequence steps, the only reg key type you can use the 'exists' or 'not exists' options for is REG_SZ. I would like to see the others REG_MULTI_SZ, REG_EXPAND_SZ, REG_DWORD, REG_QWORD, REG_BINARY. Similarly, when you choose 'equals' or any of the other operators, the only options are REG_SZ, REG_EXPAND_SZ, and REG_DWORD. The other options should be available there as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Instead of password-protecting bootmedia, have users authenticate using Active Directory credentials

It would be interesting if it were possible to protect bootmedia not just with a common password, but instead with a username/password authentication to ActiveDirectory.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Advise which dependency failed during OSD on the screen as well as the log.

I work in an environment that does not allow me to enable the command prompt in a boot image. This makes it difficult to check what went wrong. During the dependency check in a PXE advise which dependencies failed on the screen as well as the log. It would be good to state if the NIC and storage drivers are working ok.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Conditional 'continue on error' in task sequence

With a bare metal build if something fails I don't care, I can kick off the TS again.
    But in some situations (eg. when using USMT) if a build fails because one app didn't install it can be very difficult to recover from. In these situations I would like to continue on error to minimize any issues, so being able to 'conditionally' continue on error would be very nice indeed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add "Referenced by Task Sequence" item to Boot Image Summary or Details tab

The problem:
    When multiple admins are working on OSD Task Sequences, it is not obvious to see if a boot image is being called by a TS without going into the Properties of every single TS. This is exacerbated by WIMs created outside of SCCM, as is the case with MDT Boot images.

Suggestion:
    Add "Referenced by Task Sequence" item to Boot Image Summary or Details tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Offline staging of MDT

The option Offline Staging of MDT works great to update image with latest patches even office is possible. Please include this option so we can get rid of MDT.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Expose some policy data through the SMS Provider

It would be great if there was a WMI class that we could query, or a method we could call, to verify if policy is targeted to a specific client. In complex OSD scenarios, there is no way to verify whether TS policy has been targeted to a device after modifying collection membership without accessing SQL directly. For example, a method that could be called with just the client GUID or resource ID and a specific Task Sequence policy GUID, simply returning True or False, would rock. This could be called every 30 or 60 seconds and the process couldā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Deployment workflow manager and wizard to help build custom answer files

Deployment Workflow wizard within WAIK Image manager to create custom answer files. Partition wizard that will help create a deployment package with system and recovery partitions in tact. Wizard to allow users to specify Legacy or UEFI deployment. Allow the ability to directly modify a WIM and add required files to the image itself. This is to deploy images without SCCM. Driver package wizard that can add model support to a standard base image, again without the use of SCCM. There are many complicated and time consuming methods to accomplish these task however some automation would allow more precise setupā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support MUI for the "Restart Computer" TaskSequence action description visible to the user

Especially in MUI environments explaining why a reboot is required can lead to confusion on the users side. Supplying a short description is nice already, but it would be even cooler if it was configurable based on the users display language.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When using dynamic app installs the error used when the application isn't found is the one where the policy download fails.

It's technically correct, but we search at the wrong point with this error. A message that the application (name) wasn't found would be more valuable.

thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve the Only Media and PXE handling for Task Sequences

It seems that SCCM clients running in Windows process policies for Task Sequences made available to Only Media and PXE. We recently made the mistake of making our production task sequence available to all known workstations and then had all SCCM clients overload the MPs with requests seemingly for all of the components within the complicated task sequence. SCCM should first check if a deployment even applies to a client before allowing it to see or process it. A client should only see and evaluate deployments that apply to it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base