Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support using OSDDownloadContent.exe outside of Download Package Content TS step

A number of organizations are using OSDDownloadContent.exe outside of Download Package Content TS Step to download dynamic driver content (made popular by http://www.scconfigmgr.com/modern-driver-management/). In this scenario, driver package version information is missing in the TS environment during TS runtime (i.e. SMSTSSourceVersion%PackageID% TS variables are not set). When an Alternate Content Provider is called using SMSTSDownloadProgram to download content, the ACP is unable to determine which version of the package needs to be downloaded and can result in download failure or downloading the incorrect version of a driver.

Ideally, OSDDownloadContent.exe would be able to retrieve the current version and updateā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Handling of signed powershell scripts in OSD via Group Policy

Applications that utilize powershell as a detection method require that script to be signed with a code signing certificate. Code signing certificates are often managed through Active Directory Group Policy.

See: Appendix 3 in the Code-Signing Best Practices guide
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653556%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

The challenge is how to you implement a system during OSD where certificates are managed through GPO.

One could create a package that has certmgr and import the certificates; however, if there are any changes in the certs (revoked, expired, etc.) then there are multiple places to make that change.

In some environments the application developement group has no controlā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

3. Integrate Task Sequence Versioning with GIT

For large enterprises such as the one I work in govt Education, it would be very beneficial for integrating version control via GIT. Every time you check in a new version is saved to GIT.

Then you can review changes (could be xml or some other format) in GIT, and potentially revert to an older version if the changes are not approved.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like to be able to search for Task Sequences Variables and see where they are being used in all task sequences or even

I would like to be able to search for Task Sequences Variables and see where they are being used in all task sequences or at least be able to search a specific task sequence and see all variables being used within it. this is so when looking at TS variables i know if i can change or remove retired ones.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add TPM and SecureBoot task sequence variables

Please give us task sequence variables for the following because WMI can be unreliable or sometimes can't be used. These would be nice to have in order to create conditions for performing actions such as enabling/disabling TPM and SecureBoot.

TPM enabled/disabled
    TPM activated/deactivated
    TPM owned/not owned
    SecureBoot enabled/disabled

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement a "Suspend Task Sequence" Step in OSD like the LTISuspend.wsf script in MDT

During a build and capture task sequence, it can be necessary to suspend the build so that one can run some application installs, make customization's, etc. These customization's can require reboots, which kill the task sequence. Please implement a solution similar to the LTISuspend.wsf script in MDT, where you can run the step and it creates a shortcut on the desktop to resume the task sequence.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion – updating status to started. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion

The ability to set task sequence breakpoints for debugging and suspend is added in our 1905 Technical Preview. For now, this is only present in WinPE, we’re working on extending to Full OS which meets your ask.

Doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/sccm/core/get-started/2019/technical-preview-1905
    Blog: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Blog/Group-applications-into-a-single-deployment-in-ConfigMgr/ba-p/624318

Please note, we may merge this ask with the larger task sequence troubleshooting item in the future – https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492/suggestions/13880796

7. Add the Option to rerun a deployed Task Sequence on specific Clients in a Device-Collection

Add the Option to rerun the deployed Task Sequence of a Device-Collection. Also it would be good to have the Option to rerun a deployed Task at the Monitoring-Tab in the failed-Tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. OS Upgreade TS: Add percentage complete next to the install bar.

OS Upgreade TS: Add percentage complete next to the install bar. It would be easier to keep tabs on the installations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion, updating status to started.

We had the same thoughts, we’ve added the percentage complete to the progress UI. Our recent 1903 Technical Preview has this change.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/2019/technical-preview-1903
    The progress UI change isn’t called out in the documentation but there’s info. there for how to download the tech preview builds.

9. Rename task sequence when copying it.

I'd like to be able to put in the name of the copy as I make it and not have to go into properties and then rename it. This takes forever considering how slow SCCM often goes. So to save time being able to rename it when I right click and hit Copy would be ideal. Plus having the copy cut off half of my task sequence name with Hex nonesense is annoying.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add 2 new options for MDT, define and use Deployment toolkit

Add
    MDT Define Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Package
    Use Defined Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

So you can define then just use the defined MDT Toolkit. This would make it easier when you have multiple Use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Package, in the TS. This way they wouldn't all have to be edited. So after you make a change/update your UDI for whatever reason usually applications upgrades.

This would same a major amount of time also ensure you don't miss one, and less time editing and testing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi. This reads like something that would be addressed with the ‘Daisy chain task sequences’ https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8339997-daisy-chain-task-sequences-osd-and-non-osd

With that you can updating a single referenced/child task sequence containing the MDT Package and any ‘parent’ task sequence will get that update too.

Let me know if that matches your ask and I’ll merge your votes with that item.

11. The ability to identify which components have Multicast enabled or disabled when deploying a task sequence to help id multicast issues.

The ability to identify which components have Multicast enabled or disabled when deploying a task sequence to help id multicast issues.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. browse registry

Ability to browse registry when adding Registry Conditions in Task Sequence.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add additional OOBE options to the Apply OS Step

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be very useful to be able to customize the OOBE option in the TS through the GUI. Currently you need to create an xml file for customization with WSIM, which works, and provides a ton of options, but it would be nice to have a generic set of the most common options as checkboxes or something. If someone needs further customization they could use an XML file instead. Part of the problem is that many options are "deprecated" yet they still seem to work?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Embedded image file in Pre-Staged images should not supersede what the task says

When creating a Pre-Staged Media, the image files should be treated like any other media in that if it's not required anymore then it should be ignored and the right image file downloaded from the closest distribution point.

Scenario we have now:
    We created a Pre-Staged media last year that included Windows 10 1607. We have now moved on to 1703 but haven't had the time to go through the full testing of a new media so our OEM is still putting the pre-stage media with 1607. When the machine starts it's task sequence, when it comes to the image,ā€¦

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Upgrade Operating System Built-in Step: Add Option to Keep Files Only

Customer does not have the store installed and using the built-in TS step keeps files and apps. I know that the "OSDSetupAdditionalUpgradeOptions" variable can be used, but it would be nice to have the option on the built-in TS step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →

Thanks for responding.

We cannot provide a different migration options for the reasons I outlined below. Anything other than ‘Applications, Data and Settings’ will leave the machine unmanaged – while we developed the new upgrade step we tested them all.

I’ll see if I can source steps for reinstalling the Store without having to complete a restore.

16. Move the duplicate hardware id's option to a more appropriate location

Hierarchy settings does not seem to be the most appropriate location for this, engineers in the field would be adding dongle MAC addresses quite often.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. TS Menu

I currently have 3 task sequences. I want to combine all three into one task sequence and present the user with a wizard to ask, which SOE they want to install.

the way around it I have to create a powershell gui script to prompt the user and set the TS variable, then assign that variable to each group in the in task sequence. it gets messy.

I explorerd HTAs, MDT Wizards but these are difficult to adopt and implement in a timely manner.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SMSTSPostReboot / SMSTSOnStart command

When a specific app or utility needs to be run (ex. a custom monitoring application) after each restart, it would be handy if we could put the command in a variable. The command should then be executed after each restart, before the TS continues.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Win PE + AMT Problem

Win PE Freeze on step downloading, when Intel AMT turned on and configured.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Greetings - I'd like to see some of util to help read log files. It could show the list of logs and what each one is for and click to view

Greetings - I'd like to see some of util to help read log files. It could show the list of logs and what each one is for and click to view

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We include CMTrace.exe in the boot images so logs can be read in WinPE, that tool is part of the SCCM Toolkit and can also be found on the site server under \OSD\Bin\\CMTrace.exe

For OS Deployment logs there’s a section here which helps – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427342.aspx – the main OS Deployment log is SMSTS.log

We have an open item for improving logging, copy logs etc – I’ll add your feedback to that item.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base