Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create Semi-Standalone Media

To be used where there is a poor network, but not totally offline. The idea being to save the majority overhead of downloading, but still allow the TS steps that require network communication.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Query Based Branching Task Sequences

Would be useful if you could create branching task sequences. Take for example you have a different build for a physical and virtual machines, however you have a common WIM base and a number of general tasks applicable to both. Rather than creating duplicate different steps for each type based on queries why not allow complete branching of a task sequences into two distinct paths. While this can be achieved with Child Sequences to some extent, being able to visualize the full build flow without having to create multiple nested task sequences is good from a simplicity post of view.ā€¦

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Application installation in Task Sequence for applications without content

When trying to add applications to be installed during OSD that do not have any content, the deployment will fail.

As we are heavily relying on wrapped Chocolatey packages for application deployments this would be a great Addition.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Change Download .wim file from tftp to another option

We are much more using efford to .wim file download from wide area, need to change this. Maybe 1 server can lead packets and protocol. So please rescue our from TFTP for wide areas. Also is not secure because its using UDP protocol.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow disabling the option to create dynamic boot medias

Provide an option for administrators to prevent the creation of dynamic boot medias. In several single primary site Environments of my customers which also have MPs in DMZ dynamic boot medias fail sporadically, as they select a MP that they cannot reach. Telling them not to use Dynamic Media helps only temporarily, until somebody clicks Next without thinking and then ends up in complaining that the Boot Media does not work always. Alterrnatively the MP selection should be Boundary aware as introduced in CM2012 R2 SP1.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. can we use iso image in sccm to deploy to all client instead of wim file

can we use iso image in sccm to deploy to all client instead of wim file

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Tasks sequence - 'Install applications' task with multiple apps should not report 'Succeeded' state message between apps

A device on which a tasks sequence is running should report as "Running" as long as the tasks sequence has not reached its end, and report accordingly under the deployment summary tab and SSRS reports.

Consider this scenario:
    1. Create a tasks sequence
    2. Add an 'Install Application' task, and chain a couple of applications in this task.
    3. Add another different task following it -- i.e. a 'Restart computer' task.
    4. Deploy this tasks sequence on a device.
    5. In the ConfigMgr console, go to Monitoring > Deployment, and display the TS deployment
    6. Frequently refresh this deployment summaryā€¦

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to choose 'access content directly' and 'download content' for packages in a task sequence

Recently the Access Content Directly check box was added to the Apply Operating System step in the task sequence which allows you to override the Download Content setting on the deployment. It would be great to be able to do this with other packages and effectively mix and match as appropriate.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Task sequence fails in Configuration Manager if software updates require multiple restarts

Hey,

I am using CM 1802 and deploying Windows 10 1803. Used install software updates as part of the OSD TS. The TS fails even though I use SMSTSWaitForSecondReboot - 120 Seconds. The TS waits but eventually it fails saying 'Task Sequence environment not found.' leaving client in provisioning mode.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2894518/task-sequence-fails-in-configuration-manager-if-software-updates-requi

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. F12 build a machine with it's assigned TS from any site code

Notebooks move around, users with pc's also moves around between site codes. It would be great to be able to F12 build a machine from a different site code with it's assigned Task Sequences without having to delete and recreate it in the correct site code.
    I know it can be moved in the console but what if the machine's current windows installation is corrupt and cant be moved to a different site code to F12 build it with it's assigned Task Sequences.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please, add the PXE boot support/feature for Phased Deployment of task sequences.

Please, add the PXE boot support/feature for Phased Deployment of task sequences.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Windows Monitor DPI Scaling aka Zoom

Hello,

In Windows 10 (and I think since Windows 8), there's a new DPI Scaling method used. Now, we have the "zoom" option in the Display settings. The default scaling is based on a Microsoft calculation of the DPI, screen size and other mecanism.

This setting is per user and currently, there's no way to set a default value. For exemple, I got HP ProBook 650 which default to 125% zoom, resulting in less then 1080 actual resolution. I want all my computer to have a zoom of 100%.

I found the value that need to be change is under:

ā€¦

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Use inventory information to download drivers from Microsoft Update

This would provide an easy way to deploy drivers in OSD task sequences.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow Install application and install swupdates steps to run offline

The 2 steps in OSD that cause the majority of issues are Install software updates, and Install application, the latter could have been predicted by the experiences of install software updates in CM07.

I am convinced that the reason these two are responsible for so many hickups are largely related by their requirement to have management point interaction when calling these steps. All other steps in a tasksequence have collected, or can collect al their info upfront. The install application and swupdate steps are exceptions to this. If they could collect all their necessary details upfront, that would make forā€¦

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

15. Windows 10 ADK Timeline parity with SCCM Build Releases to Support 30 Month Fall Release Support Cycle

It would appear at a high level that adjustments were not made to coordinate support timelines across the architecture of components for SCCM, Example, while extending Windows 10 1709 Ent. support to 30 months, I would expect the ADK to be supported with the Configuration Manager release 1810, (1903, 1909, etc.) to maintain parity with bug fixes.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback.

For ADK support we always support N-1 i.e. current and previous version. This is the matrix we use for testing each release and forms this statement – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/plan-design/configs/support-for-windows-10#windows-10-adk

Each ADK can be used to deploy current and earlier versions of Windows 10. Between releases (either SCCM or ADK) there’s no fundamental change with how we interface.

Can you elaborate some more on what your request is here, please?

Thanks and regards

16. OSD during WinPE and the need of disk for storage

Since bitlocker, UEFI with GPT and mSATA came in the picture to mention some disk-related stuff, I have struggle with OSD issues where the TS fails due to the lack of a non encrypted, partitioned regular disk to store content during the initial steps of a TS in WinPE
    Here is an example, I get an OEM-installed laptop with SecureBoot and UEFI activated. To be able to install Windows 7 on this laptop I have to reconfigure the BIOS and disable SecureBoot and UEFI, fair enough. But to get the OSD TS to work I have to manually clean theā€¦

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

The Task Sequence can be set to use ‘Run from Net’ – OS Image, Client Package etc. have to be set to use Package Share – part of the properties, visible on the ‘Data Access’ tab. Would that option help?

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

17. The ability to specify custom internal NTP servers in WinPE and enable w32tm.exe as an optional component when building WinPE images

Pointing W32Time service to an internal NTP time server is monsterously cumbersome.
    While W32Time service exists in WinPE it's not enabled by default and incorrect time in WinPE is a common thing which mess up timestamps of logs. Also the w32tm.exe and associated .mui does not exist in WinPE natively. These (OS and architecture specific) files would need to be added after the boot image is created (urgh!).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add native multiple harddrives support to OSD TS

Harddrives enumeration in TS is unclear and unpredictable. I want at first to run posh script from ramdrive to tag one drive as "system", and other as "data" or "keep content", then on next step partition "system" and "data" drives, wipe all legacy boot sectors as an option.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Natively Add install windows feature to SCCM Task sequence options

MDT has the ability to "Install Windows Feature" with an MDT task sequence and I can also do this if I integrate MDT with SCCM. However SCCM should be able to do this natively without MDT. Better yet make it so that SCCM can accept powershell DSC configurations to run during the build process. This would be a huge win for provisioning on prem servers.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Task Sequence: In-Place Upgrade Win10 Version already Installed

For task sequences, specifically In-place Upgrade task sequences, it would be great to have the ability to only apply them to specific version of Windows 10. For Example, I have a test group with a mix of 1607, 1703, and 1709... If I deploy an In-place Upgrade task sequence to that group for v1709...it will sit under operating systems in Software Center even though it is already installed. This gets annoying when it prompts me that new software is available every morning I log in. It would be great if the task sequence could report a success if it seesā€¦

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base