Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the Software Update Task Sequence (built-in TS patching during OSD)

How is this still a problem? Ask any MVP and they all agree: the built-in task sequence for patching during OSD doesn't work. It doesn't survive double reboots, it has a upper patch limit before it crashes ... it's basically garbage. I don't mind making golden images in MDT, but I shouldn't _have_ to ... and yet I do. I makes SCCM feel less like a singular solution.

1,308 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      44 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m updating the status. For 1606 we’ve made some changes, listed below.
      As more are added we’ll update what Tech Preview/Release they appear in.

Timeout scan is now configurable
      We added a new task sequence variable to allow a configurable timeout for scan. Variable name is SMSTSSoftwareUpdateScanTimeout, default is 30 minutes. Value is set in seconds so an hour is 60×60=3600

Logging changes
      In the SMSTS.log we list the log files to check for updates download and evaluation.
      These are UpdateDeployment.log, UpdatesHandler.log, WUAHandler.log and WindowsUpdate.log

New Option for full scan
      There’s a new checkbox added to the Install Updates step – ‘Evaluate software updates from cached scan results’
      If the checkbox is on we use cached results, if the checkbox is off we do a full scan
      Task Sequences that are upgraded will have this option checked on – this is parity with the existing behavior

Power management changes…

• Daisy chain Task Sequences (OSD and non-OSD)

I would like to see the ability to launch one task sequence from within another task sequence. For some processes, you run the same steps across multiple deployments. Today, you have to duplicate these steps across many task sequences. The ability to execute a task sequence from a task sequence would alleviate this need and reduce errors and inconsistencies for administrators.

1,176 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        34 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to started. The ability to call another task sequence from a task sequence is added in 1704 Tech Preview – see here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/get-started/capabilities-in-technical-preview-1704 for more details

Please note this is an early release and there’s some limitations. We wanted to show you all our work in progress and gather some feedback such as nesting depth.
        Currently a task sequence with any package references in child steps won’t resolve content when run in the full OS – we’ve a ton of work to do with policy to solve that. Good news is that the scenario will work when launched from WinPE (PXE/Media). Also, nesting will work in the full OS for any steps that don’t require content e.g. Run Command Line, Set Task Sequence Variable (variables are global to all steps!), Connect to UNC etc.
        Import/Export doesn’t traverse all child task sequences
        We block selecting the parent…

• Allow for dynamically selecting Apply Driver Packages

Allow for dynamically selecting Apply Driver Packages, pretty much like it works for normal packages (applications). This would reduce the number of hardcoded Apply Driver Package in the task sequence.

672 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Noted  ·  21 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Native 802.1x Support for Enterprise Operating System Deployments

Provide Support 802.1x Natively w/o the use of prestart up scripts in WinPE. Many large organizations have protected network infrastructure for their environments that want to be able to easily utilizes the Deployment feature on these protected networks.

361 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            Noted  ·  7 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Bootimage download with HTTP instead of TFTP

Downloading the boot image with TFTP is slow and download may fail within slow or unreliable networks.
            Downloading with HTTP or iSCSI will increase the speed dramatically and the stability is improved also.
            With iPXE this technology is implemented and works fine.
            My idea is to implement the HTTP download with SCCM.
            This would be a great enhancement to performance and stability in the OS deployment.

316 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              12 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              Noted  ·  sangeevsangeev responded

Hi. I’m setting the status back to Noted – this was mixed up with the item “Add support for TFTP Window Size” – that has been Started and is available in the 1603 tech preview build.

Thanks,
              BobMN on behalf of SangeeV for SCCM OS Deployment

• windows 10 upgrade servicing

Support SUP/ESD/WSUS/update-based packages via the "Upgrade Operating System" task sequence step so that task sequence-driven upgrades can benefit from the smaller size of the ESD files (2.5GB) compared to the full media used today (3.5GB).

253 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add "Uninstall Application" option to Tasksequence

It is possible to "Install Application" in a Tasksequence. It would be nice to be able to "Uninstall Application" too.

225 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  13 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updated by bobmn for sangeev/OSD

• Integrate MDT by default

Instead of having us integrate MDT, why not just include the scripts in a new SCCM install by default?

211 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    Noted  ·  11 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Support OSD over Wireless

As more and more devices are shipping without wired network adapters, and more business areas are going "wireless only," the traditional ability to reimage a device in place is getting scarce. This is especially true in primary and secondary education institutions.

Please provide support for adding Wireless drivers to WinPE, and the ability to provision wireless network profiles for the WinPE phase of the task sequence to enable imaging over wireless network connections.

183 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      8 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Allow us the ability to view all variables and their values that are available in a task sequence (both built-in and custom) via a gui

While testing some new functionality in SCCM 1602 current branch I inadvertently searched for a possible new variable using the 'set dynamic variable' step.

Unfortunately that doesn't list read only variables in the 'existing variables' list (read only variables begin with _). It would be awesome if this gui would list all built-in variables (including read-only ones) as this would make searching for a particular variable easier than having to google or bing it.

Secondly, how about the option to list all custom defined variables in this gui, along with their values (if any). today we get the following headings…

172 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback.

• Apply all deployed applications step in OSD

A step during OSD that queries SCCM for the applications deployed to a machine. If any are deployed to collections the machine is a member of they are installed one at a time, performing any restarts untill the whole list is complete. This should be an integrated step rather than implemented inconsistently by third-parties in PS or IIS

139 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Noted  ·  5 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • F8 Troubleshooting Environment Steroids (F8TES)

Replace the OSD Boot Image "Enable CMD Support (testing only)" feature with something that is more robust, helpful, and useful outside of testing like the F8 Troubleshooting Environment Steroids (F8TES).

Info: Display full name of task sequence and its ID
                          Info: Display full name of TS Deployment and its ID
                          Info: Display full name and type of error step
                          Info: Display error code
                          Info: (Stretch Goal) Display useful error message for top 10 errors

Button: “Open Command Prompt”
                          - Launches the command prompt
                          - Defaults to Insert instead of Overwrite (it currently defaults to overwrite in the WinPE phase)

Button:…

124 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            11 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • OSD - Deploy TS to User groups

Would be nice to be able to advertise Task Sequences to specific users or groups. We have some operating system deployments that we would like only certain users to run, support staff for instance.

120 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              8 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Task Sequence Editor Search

We have over 300 Groups/Steps in a couple of our task sequences. It would be really helpful to be able to search with the Task Sequence Editor. Either by step name or group name. In a perfect world it would be helpful to search descriptions or other text content within each group or step.

80 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Better Driver and Driver Package Management

Driver Management within the console is unacceptably slow (still). We manage 60+ unique Models across Windows 7 all the way up through Windows 10. As a result there are a LOT of drivers to maintain and manage. With SCCM 2007, we had the ability to at least break these down in folders. With sccm 2012 you removed the ability to import directly to a folder. The trade-off was "categories" however, it is still incredibly slow to search for drivers.

In addition, with SCCM 2007, we could just fill a folder with inf's and create a driver package from that without…

76 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  Noted  ·  7 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Built-in Web Service for OSD tasks

Maik Koster has created an excellent Web Service for performing tasks e.g. during OSD, like removing a device from a collection. I think it would be a great idea to have a Site System Role for OSD where you have a built-in step in the TS to choose various tasks to perform during OSD.

75 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Task Sequence Error Dialog Box Needs to Show Step Name

The error dialog box for the task sequence shows the error code, but does not show you what step threw the error.
                                    - Show the step name on the default error dialog box.
                                    - The modal dialog box for errors goes directly over the progress dialog box, so you can’t see the step from there without using the mouse.
                                    - You may not have mouse support, especially when you are RDPing into a box with a VMware or Hyper-V console… which means this is REALLY frustrating

74 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      Noted  ·  4 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Support to image mounted vhd drives

With this ability you can expand the capabilities of your task sequence in so many ways, ie using VHD's to create a Kiosk/steady state solution.

Please add support to be able to apply operating system images to mounted VHD drives.

Currently a permission issue prevents this.

65 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        6 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add the ability to deploy and manage drivers post OS deployment

what would be great to see is a mechanism which would allow for the deployment of drivers to client computers post the OSD. ideally it would be fantastic if it can use the same driver package as is used in the OS Deployment to save the administrative overhead needing to have 2 different ways to deploy updated drivers like we need to today where we package the drivers for OS deployment, while to deploy to the existing hardware we need to depend upon the vendors installation package which in some cases don't allow silent installation so requires a large amount…

63 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • OS Deployment completion screen

Sometimes a task sequence can fail without the technican noticing the reboot countdown, so they just see a login screen and assume everything is okay. How about a "OS Deployment Failed/Succeeded" splash screen at completion? MDT (UDI) has a completion screen, although it doesn't show on error. Still - something like that.

62 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base