Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows 10 Servicing - Usage & Ring Tiles Should Produce List of PCs When Clicked

When you view the new Windows 10 Servicing dashboard in 1511/1602, you see these awesome graphical tiles that give you a snapshot of your Windows 10 usage and rings in your organization. However, when you hover your mouse over those two tiles and click, nothing happens other than you're presented with a percentage. It would be great if the area you select and click gives you a list of PCs broken down so you see what machines fall into what bucket. Very useful for troubleshooting too.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Rename Deployment Packages to Update Packages

Deployment Packages have nothing, zip, zero, nada to do with deployments so calling them deployment packages leads folks to the wrong conclusion about them and is inaccurate at best. These packages simply contain update binary files and should instead be called "update packages" or maybe even "update binary packages" to emphasize what they actually do.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Missing settings in Deploy Software Updates Template

Some new features of Software Updates Deployments are missing in the Template.
    This can be frustrating for Admins if they rely on these templates.
    All settings you can specify in a Deployment should be part of the Template

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Support Phased Deployments in Automatic Deployment Rules

I think this is pretty straight-forward. If the Phased Deployment feature is to become a thing for software updates it needs to be supported as part of ADRs. If organizations are manually deploying updates then they're simply doing it wrong. If anyone thinks I'm transitioning from automated deployments to manual phased deployments they vastly underestimate my laziness.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Control Windows 10 driver auto-update

With Windows 10, the system's drivers are updated directly from Windows Update. This is usually a good thing because it means the system will have the latest WHQL drivers installed. It also means the system administrator needs to maintain less driver packs for individual models (at least for corporate / enterprise computer models).

However, it sometimes happen that an updated driver will have a MSI co-installer that will run outside the scope of the SCCM client and might run concurrently with an application or package installation step from a task sequence. It will cause the installation to fail and maybeā€¦

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Automatically add products to WSUS syncs based on SCCM inventory

Currently, you need to 'know what you have' to enable update syncs for products in WSUS/SCCM. That means that components could be present and not updated, but systems appear to be '100% up-to-date'. It would be nice to have an option to allow SCCM to add software categories to look for based on inventory results (e.g. 'someone installed SQL Server 2014, so WSUS should now look for updates for it').

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Windows 10 1703: Stop apps re-installing when deploying the feature update

The Windows apps are overwritten when 1703 feature is installed. This means we have to identify the new apps and update our scripts to remove unwanted apps (again). We were told this was being looked into and would not happen after 1607. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/23/windows-10-1607-keeping-apps-from-coming-back-when-deploying-the-feature-update/

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Scheduled Offline Updates - Include Microsoft Office

We find the Scheduled Updates option incredibly helpful, however not being able to include Office Updates means we still require the occasional build and capture to include those updates in the WIM. Could the inclusion of Office Updates within Scheduled Updates be a possibility?

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Boundary Group Selection to SUP Creation Process

It has become a semi-regular occurrence in the various communities that someone has created a new environment or rebuilt their SUPs and suddenly none of their clients updates are managed by ConfigMgr and they're getting updates direct from Microsoft.

Often the root cause is that they did not add the new SUP to any boundary groups. It's an additional step that users just need to kinda of magically know ahead of time to do. Which is to say people aren't going to know and find out the hard way.

Let's solve this somehow. For me, making boundary group selection partā€¦

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sub folders within Automatic deployment rules

Being able to create folders within automatic deployment rules would allow us to seperate our ADR's by type / OS or whatever and would make it much easier to manage. the subfolders are available for most other catagories so i feel it should be added to this one as well.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  11. SCreate a seocndary deadline action for insalling and rebooting outside of maintenance window

I'd like to have the option, when pushing out software updates to have deadlines for maintenance windows. For example, you set the deadline for automatic install and reboot for sunday at 10pm and set the deadline behaviour to not do anything outside of the maintenance window. This means the patches will only automatically install during the maintenance window and wont interrupt the users during the day. However, I'd like a secondary deadline, so that say on Wednesday night I can set the patches to install outside of the maintenance window from say 6pm onward (i.e the users have had enoughā€¦

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix the location of the Patchdownloader.log file

That's 'fix' as in 'nail in the same place'. Who's forever getting frustrated at remembering where patch downloads get logged to depending on which user/process initiates the downloads? Can the Patchdownloader.log file not be always logged to the site server Logs folder? Not fussed if the solution has to create multiple log file, I would just like to know that I can go the the same place directly every time and there it is!

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ADR property filter extend "date released or revised" with custom

We create "year packages" for several products so older updates are in a "static software upgrade". But we still have to maintain these SUG periodically to remove superseeded updates.
    An example:
    I'd like to have an ADR which selects all updates from 2015 for all my server OS'es and checks this every month or quarter so expired updates are automatically removed and reinstated updates are added again.

In addition, I want my current ADR to select all updates from 1st of Januar till now. This is not possible at the moment because all moments are relative.

Why(?) this seems strangeā€¦

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create a copy/duplicate of an ADR

It would be useful to be able to create a duplicate or copy of an ADR in the same way we can with a task sequence or collection. I understand the concept of creating templates but in the circumstance where you don't create a template (for whatever reason) you have to step through each option again and do a manual comparison with an existing ADR.
    Even if it fired up the wizard with pre-made selections that would be useful.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix ADR Deployment Settings when editing

In SCCM 2012R2, there use to be a an edit for the ADR so you could specify a new deadline time. The time field is no longer an option once the wizard is closed. In CB (1702) you need to recreate the entire ADR to specify a new hour for the deadline. See pictures.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Do not run Server Group's node drain scripts when installing definition updates

If you define a server group and use Windows Defender you might want to update those definitions as early as possible.

Currently, those definition updates trigger the node drain and resume skripts, which can lead to service downtime.
    Additionally, the updates can only be installed during maintenance windows.

I want you to
    a) add an option in deployment in software update groups to always ignore maintenance windows
    b) add an option in deployment in software update groups to ignore server group settings

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to reboot at the end of the maintenance window

We have an issue with business wanting to know within a 15-30 minute timeframe when the server reboots. With the maintenance windows today we can only open for installation and reboot but do not know when during the maintenance window the reboot will happen. Would it be possible to allow a setting to wait with the reboot to the end of the maintenance window. This way the reboot time would be predictable and installation would happen during the maintenance window. The option could be something like "If reboot is required wait until the end of the maintenance window to reboot"ā€¦

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Monitor Software Update Installation in Real Time using a Dashboard or SCCM Admin Website

When deploying Software Updates to your server farm, it would be great to have a centralized Dashboard or Web Interface that provides you real time statistics of the patch installation process. This would give you the ability to immediately see if a patch failed to install or a client failed to install a patch or, in the case of a few updates, that a reboot is required to the remaining patches can be installed. I know its kind of getting greedy but if this dashboard existed, and you could right click on a server and launch a remote version ofā€¦

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Option to force restart desktop endpoints if no user logged in

Hi There,

I am wondering if we can have an option in SCCM to force restart desktop endpoints after patch installation when no user logged in. This option certainly not useful for server endpoints but for desktop endpoints, it could be a blessing for work station admins those have to chase users to restart the VDI/desktop endpoints periodically to get patches installed in an environment where admins can't define any specific restart time due to nature of the job. Possible options/ features I see:
    1. Define setting in machine collection/ deployment group that if no user logged in install theā€¦

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a patch now option

Add a patch now option

From the software update view in the console, add a option to select updates, then having a patch now or deploy now action.

This could open a window with all the devices on which the updates is missing the give you the ability to add those devices to a collection where the updates are deployed or even give you the ability the create a deployment, download the updates, etc...

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base