Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinkingā€¦)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to force restart desktop endpoints if no user logged in

Hi There,

I am wondering if we can have an option in SCCM to force restart desktop endpoints after patch installation when no user logged in. This option certainly not useful for server endpoints but for desktop endpoints, it could be a blessing for work station admins those have to chase users to restart the VDI/desktop endpoints periodically to get patches installed in an environment where admins can't define any specific restart time due to nature of the job. Possible options/ features I see:
    1. Define setting in machine collection/ deployment group that if no user logged in install theā€¦

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Content Size (KB) Column in SCCM Console

In SCCM console, Software Library --> Software Updates, I have never seen the 'Content Size (KB) column' ever populated with the size of an update, why is this? Would it be possible for this information be passed through? Individual patches have developed into becoming cumulative updates, rollups etc and are considerably larger in size e.g. over 1 Gb each. In some instances they fail to install on low spec servers because they are marked with what seems to be the standard 'Maximum Run Time' of 10 Min. Knowing the update size and the MTU set within the view of theā€¦

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Office 365 Deferred Channel selection to Automatic Deployment Rules (ADR)

Since the deferred channel consists of multiple versions it would be great to select from those deferred channels as well. Customers that roll out on this channel only usually still have some kind of waves implemented regarding the different versions available on that channel. The name of the updates can only be filtered so much (see screenshot) before it becomes impossible to filter any further. Currently they need to change the version number every time within the ADR.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Display progress of Office 365 Client Updates into WUAHandler log

When deploying the Office 365 Client Updates with ConfigMgr, there is no information currently written into the WUAHandler.log. All other software updates (including Office 2016) appear in the WUAHandler.log with an entry showing they are missing and once installed, an entry showing the install was finished, the exit code, and whether or not a reboot is required.
    1) 1. Update (Missing): Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217) (4a4cfa3f-337e-496e-9d32-a143afcb27f4, 200)

2) Update 1 (4a4cfa3f-337e-496e-9d32-a143afcb27f4) finished installing (0x00000000), Reboot Required? Yes

There is currently no such information displayed for any Office 365 updates. If the WUAHandler.log containsā€¦

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. One deployment for multiple collections

We are using SCCM to deploy software updates to our servers. All servers are using the same software updates group. There's around 45 different maintenance windows for them. Since there one collection for each maintenance window, we need to create 45 deployments even if the deployment settings are all the same. Becauce of that, if we do any changes in the software updates group, the server will start processing the changes for hours and have everything else on hold.

We can see it by looking at the number of files it generate in the inboxe folder.

It would be greatā€¦

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow Software Center to report all installed Software Updates

When software updates are pending installed or just installed they are reported in the Software Center, Software Updates section. Then they disappear from that view.

Can we configure the software update view to report all software updates installed by the SCCM client? Or reference the installed updates from Windows Update agent?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. ADR Available Deployments

I would like to see ADR's support the creation of Available deployments in addition to Required deployments. We have some business cases where a certain subset of servers are aren't allowed to "push" software updates to until the server/app owners have verified the patches.

The issue is that these servers don't have connectivity to the internet so we have to deliver them via ConfigMgr. By creating an Available update using an ADR, it streamlines our ability to "deliver" the updates to all systems, and allow the Patching Team, or App/Server owner to patch according to their own business schedules.

225 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  8. Software Update reports accessible from within Software Updates

It would be great to have a menu item to view the specific update reports in the All Software Updates view and within the Software Updates Groups view. Currently we can ascertain the updates' status details, required count, install count etc... from the Software Update list view but this information is not interactive. To actually identify the specific list of systems these updates are needed by or installed on we have to manually run a compliance report for the software update. It would be nice to have that functionality built into the Software Library module where highlighting an update willā€¦

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to automatically install Windows 10 ADK releases (or rollback or apply hotfix) via Updates and Servicing.

The windows 10 adk has changed a few times since the original release of Windows 10, there have been two major releases and one hotfix to fix issues with the second release, as a consequence of that many people got jittery about upgrading to ADK 10 1511.

How are we going to deal with this in a good way, a really good way. Prior to this we didn't have to upgrade our boot images every 6 months or so.

Here's the suggestion:-

#1. When we update from 1602 to 1607 (or whatever) to support the next generation of Windows, itā€¦

775 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
    Noted  ·  sangeev responded

Updated to Noted. We’ve been discussing the same in our planning meetings.

Thanks,
    BobMN on behalf of SangeeV for SCCM OS Deployment

10. Log which user initiated software updates

In a multi-administrator environment, it's often useful to check which user initiated the installation of the software updates.

Now all we have is: 'InstallUpdates Initiated by user'.
    We don't really know which user initiated those updates.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. SCCM ability to change office 365 channel like in GPO Settings

Would like to be able to change O365 Channels for Clients in SCCM,
    Like you can in GPO... currently GPO wont honor the channel I want because SCCM is managing the O365 Client.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix the location of the Patchdownloader.log file

That's 'fix' as in 'nail in the same place'. Who's forever getting frustrated at remembering where patch downloads get logged to depending on which user/process initiates the downloads? Can the Patchdownloader.log file not be always logged to the site server Logs folder? Not fussed if the solution has to create multiple log file, I would just like to know that I can go the the same place directly every time and there it is!

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. o365 Software Updates delta downloads

Office click to run is capable of implementing delta downloads; SCCM software updates always cache the whole 1+ GB of content to the users local directory.
    For remote PCs with slow WAN connection it is vital to reduce the amount of content they have to download. Implementing delta download for software updates is necessary steps to improve remote users experience.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to configure maximum runtime for software updates in ADR

The default settings for maximum runtime are not optimal for the cumulative updates as they often take longer to install. It would be ideal if you could increase the default or allow for the time to be set by the ADR. I often have to remember to go back and increase default time on all deployed updates.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. In the Automatic Deployment - would it be possible to have the option to set the time for the deployment.

Currently when setting your deployment rules, you can only set the date, following the evaluation of the rule. Would it be possible to select the time as well.

We have machines that are governed by the ADR, but could do with this been applied outside of business hours?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Full Office 365 SUP WSUS Integration

Full Office 365 Integration with upstream WSUS

Ok, i try to explain my problem.
    Office 365 Updates are not fully integrated to WSUS. When i use an upstream WSUS in my environment with downloading content locally, the o365 conent is only a dummy content, the real content is downloaded from MS.

So, when my SUP has no internet connection, i have to configure a proxy for downloading it. But this is greyed out or not possible when using an upstream WSUS. I have to configure the SUP to go directly in the internet, and than i have the option, toā€¦

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When deploying to a SUG and creating a template, the user experience option "If any software update in this deployment ..." is not saved

When deploying to a SUG and creating a template, the user experience option "If any software update in this deployment requires a system restart, run updates deployment evaluation cycle after restart" is not saved. This requires you to have to re-check this each time even after using a previously saved template.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  18. retry failed software updates

This could be a config thing and if it is I'm sorry, I cannot find where.

Last month I grabbed all updates that have a required > 1 and deployed them (to test first of course). Now, several days (and more accurately, several maintenance windows) after they were deployed I have some updates that in the console show in monitoring\deployments\my deployment\error tab and on the client show as "past due - will be installed". The only way I know to fix these is to manually log into each server, possibly reboot them, then manually click on the retry button forā€¦

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Missing settings in Deploy Software Updates Template

Some new features of Software Updates Deployments are missing in the Template.
    This can be frustrating for Admins if they rely on these templates.
    All settings you can specify in a Deployment should be part of the Template

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  20. Add functionality to run scripts before and after software updates install

We need to be able to run either a VB or Powershell script before and after software updates install. Our example is so that we can put our monitoring system in outage mode and send emails to the support teams.

The 'Server Groups' pre-release feature has something similar, but does not currently work (it crashes Software Center when it runs).

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base