Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, seeĀ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Server Reboot Sequence

We have very custom servers and I am using Maintenance Windows to control these Reboots. I would love to see where we can control reboots on a server...For example, we reboot a server wait for it to come back up before second server gets rebooted.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. Mximum runtime of Server 2016 Cumulative Updates

For the last three months we've had to install the Server 2016 cumulative updates manually on the Servers as they have been failing with the error 0x87D0070C (-2016409844) shown in software center. From reading other posts I can see that this is a 'software update execution timeout' error and that by adjusting the maximum runtime of the update it will resolve the issue.

I changed the runtime from 60 minutes to 240 minutes and this fix did indeed work but I don't want to have to do this every month. I saw that the previous problem was because the updateā€¦

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to modify user notifications to include expected update duration

In SCCM, administrators should have the ability to modify the text in notification balloons that currently states:

Software changes are required
    Your IT Department requires changes to the software on your computer. Click here for options

Users are not given the information needed (ie. how long will it take) to make the decision when to start the update.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. criteria in software updates filtering for Title

During the software update filter section ,I want to exclude updates with title malicious,itanium and security only but for this ,if i choose title does not contain ,it doesnt have option to change AND instead of OR .
    OR will work only if the title contain but if i choose does not contain ,i left with undesired results. This is same for other filter sections .
    Attached the image for your reference.

Can this be improved to customize based on the requirement.

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  5. server groups patching passive and active nodes

Server Groups - Would be nice to see some options on Patching Clusters with regards to patching the passive node/active node in the server group during its maintenance window. Right now im having to solve for this with making patches available to the collection and then running powershells to determine which node is passive. would save tons of time if we just had the feature built into Server Groups as another option along side the others (allow percentage, allow a number, specify sequence, etc....)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ADR New Search Criteria, Deployed = yes/no

I propose a new search criteria for ADR, to avoid multiple deployments for a single update. This is a pain to clean up afterwards.

222 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  7. Express installation for Windows Server 2016

Any plan on adding Express installation files for Windows Server 2016 updates?

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add an entry to Audit Status Messages when an ADR is manually ran

Currently the only way to tell who manually initiated an ADR is to check the SMSProv.log. However, since this log is recreated so frequently it's easy to lose this record. Due to the impact that a rogue ADR can have on an environment, a more reliable way of auditing ADR's that were manually initiated should be added. First idea that comes to mind is creating an Audit Status Message.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  9. Windows 10 Servicing Management without Task Sequences

The idea of leveraging a Windows 10 Servicing plan is great. It's a relatively simple process that can keep companies on a defined Windows 10 lifecycle. However, due to the nature of the upgrades and processes in which things get reset or reinstalled customers are forced to leverage task sequences. With the announcement of Windows 10 1803 pre/post configuration scripts, there now appears to be somewhat of an avenue where these items can start to be managed. However, when you look at our customers failure percentages for any deployment, you have to ask yourself, would a customer really want aā€¦

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Office 365 Updates

I have seen issue in my environment with Office 365 update not applying properly if Office apps are open during installation. The update is shown as successful and restart required in Software Center. After restart original Office 365 build is still installed, next Software Update Deployment Evaluation Cycle, the update is reapplied. Only way around it for me was to close Office Apps

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Windows Store Apps update controlled from SCCM Updates and SUP

We are a school system with over 30K of 1:1 devices and counting and our networking team just watched 378 GB of downloads from dl.delivery.mp.microsoft...this morning. Turns out that this is Win10 Store apps updating. (Provisioned apps most likely as we use very few apps right now.) My boss was not too happy that this happened during testing.

We control our Windows updates with SCCM using a SUP and WSUS and everything is fine but we have no way to control store updates, frequency, caching on our DPs etc. Any chance of adding store updates to work like Windows updatesā€¦

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Keep updates only in WSUS

Allow Windows Updates to be managed through SCCM but allow users to pull the actual files from WSUS.

In smaller environments why must I download the updates on the WSUS server than have the update sync down to the SCCM server forcing me to put 60 gig worth of updates in 2 places. This should be an option.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Track when a Software Update is added to a Software Update Group or Deployment

Currently, there is no way to actually know when an update was deployed. Some/many organizations use new software update groups every month and this seemingly addresses this request; however, using new update groups every month creates clutter and is really unnecessary. It also doesn't truly address the need to track when an update was deployed because the membership of an update group can be changed after it is deployed. Having this tracking addresses this single shortfall in reusing update groups.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. W10 Servicing - Windows Insider (for Business)

Under W10 Servicing - Windows Insider builds are shown as "Other" Can SCCM ID these as either the build number or that they are Windows Insider builds

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Service Plans - define search for feature updates to save disk space

At the moment when creating a service plan in SCCM e.g. for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) there are several versions downloaded. Like the x86, x64, consumer and business files. So if you need the update only for Win 10 x64 Enterprise EN, you will still get all 4 versions: the x86, x64, consumer updates (Win 10 Home) and business updates. That results in pretty much wasted disk space which would not be necessary since the x64 business files would suffice.

It would be great if we can define the search better so you can choose what files willā€¦

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Calculate ADR Deployment Schedule from ADR start time

The deployments created by ADR's base the available and deadline specific times on the point at which the new deployments get created and not when the ADR was started. This means we have to go and change the available and deadline times each time after the ADR's run.
    i.e. ADR starts at 8am, deployment gets created at 8.30 by the currently running ADR, Deployment available and deadline specific times on the ADR deployment will be based off 8.30 instead of 8am.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bring download timeout for patches inline with other products e.g. InternetExplorer, .Net-applications

From case "117070515991825

When your SUP tries to download big Windows Updates files, the updates are timed-out because:

If the proxy doesnā€™t send HTTP/1.1, Status: Ok in 30 seconds, this will cause the SCCM server to send a Reset flag and close the connection.

SCCM HTTP 30 seconds timeout it's hardcoded and cannot be changed.

Please make the download read/write timeout configurable or bring it inline with standard http timeout.

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. ADR property filter extend "date released or revised" with custom

We create "year packages" for several products so older updates are in a "static software upgrade". But we still have to maintain these SUG periodically to remove superseeded updates.
    An example:
    I'd like to have an ADR which selects all updates from 2015 for all my server OS'es and checks this every month or quarter so expired updates are automatically removed and reinstated updates are added again.

In addition, I want my current ADR to select all updates from 1st of Januar till now. This is not possible at the moment because all moments are relative.

Why(?) this seems strangeā€¦

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Windows 10 servicing plan

Being able to deploy the same servicing plan to multiple collections the same way we are able to create multiple deployments for the same update ADR so we don't need to create multiple servicing plans for the same updates.

i know i can add the deployments manually to the software update group but it would be nice if it was done automatically

1 servicing plan, 1 update group, 1 deployment package

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Office 365 Required Deployments on 1706

Prompt for required deployments O365 deployments in 1706.

When running a deployment that is available from Software Center we get the new prompt as expected. If the deployment is required and the deadline hits Office and Skype are closed without warning and the update is started.

Either revert to the old reboot required method for at deadline installs or add a prompt that Office applications are about to close when the deadline reached.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
1 2 5 7 9 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base