Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the 🙂 button in the top right corner and choose “Send a Frown”. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Microsoft Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Delivery Optimization Cache as public CDN

If ISP customers could automatically use the nearest cache node, then ISP can get rid of non-standard caches for saving bandwidth.

I mean "Internet Service Provider" or "Internet Access Provider" for example a company which buys 10Gb of Internet over fiber and then sells it over wireless/dsl/fiber to 1000 customers each one 10Mb .

Actually I think there would be a standard way for ISPs to cache Microsoft updates without need any change in client configs.

For example look at following link https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate . It is one of many examples that show ISPs try to reverse engineering the windows updates…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change the default timeout for feature updates, when feature updates timeout they should fail and stop.

The feature updates in our environment always time out on the older machines with mechanical drives as they are slow to update. It would be helpful if the timeout was set to a lot more than 1 hour by default. Secondly when it does time out it would be helpful if it failed the deployment instead of sitting in software center saying it's installing indefinitely. The only way I've been able to do this is to delete the client from SCCM and re-install the agent on the client machine. Distribution of feature updates through SCCM needs a lot of work.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Re-run failed Automatic Deployment Rule (ADR)

Sometimes (one time per week) we have a failed automatic deployment rule (ADR).

Error Code:
    SMS_RULE_ENGINE
    Message ID: 8706
    Decription:
    Content download failed.
    Source: SMS Rule Engine.

Most of the time it is the one of the Windows Defender Definition updates. If I Re-run (Run Now) the ADR it works perfectly. Maybe there is not enough time between sync sup and run ADR. I don't know. After I click "Run Now" it's always success.

It would be great if you can add an option "Re-run failed ADR, after X minutes, try…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create the ability to deploy updates superseded by Quality Updates even after the supersedence rule has expired them

We do not apply quality updates in our environment. We only deploy security only updates. There are updates that are superseded by quality updates only. They are also superseded for longer than our site configurations supersedence rules and therefore we have no way to deploy these to our environment except building a package for them.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add expiration datetime to Software Update Group Deployment

Add expiration "datetime" to Software Update Group Deployments.

Once the deployment - based on the expiration date - is expired, the deployment is no longer active.

Now you have to remove or disable (manual/PowerShell) a deployment if you want to unlink it with the linked collection.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to get reports on individual update by clicking on the Pie

When I click on individual updates, I see on the bottom the pie chart of "Total Asset Count:" I am requesting that be a link that automatically launches the report so I can get a listing of all the machines related to the pie chart. Similar to when I click on a deployment and I can drill down to the list of Objects related to that deployment where it failed, succeeded, etc. I know I can run a report, but the report is not always accurate and "live". For that matter, where is it getting that number from??

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow WSUS servers to download updates only on HTTPS

Currently, the WSUS servers connect to the URLs (both HTTP and HTTPS) to download the updates, as mentioned in this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/plan-design/plan-for-software-updates#BKMK_ConfigureFirewalls

This means allowing HTTP traffic to come down to internal servers (by creating exceptions in the proxy settings), causing serious audit failures and security concerns.

Also, a lot of proxy solutions also have a capability to block the content from whitelisted HTTP URLs if the file size is too large, thinking that it might be malicious content. This again causes problems when Windows 10 Feature and Express Updates are downloaded!

Hence, it would be great to publish all…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The Office 365 updates behavior in SCCM 1802 still feels off and unpolished

We still see prompts for closing running office applications and while Software Center displays a reboot required, the update doesn't seem to get installed unless manually triggered through the in-app notification.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add "Next Evaluation Time" column for "Automatic Deployment Rules"

It would allow an administrator to confirm custom schedules like "Every 23 days, from 11 September 2017" and monthly schedules using offsets are hitting the expected dates, preventing unauthorized change. There is a "Last Evaluation Time" so to have the "Next Evaluation Time" is logical.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Updating status to planned, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help#send-a-suggestion for an explanation of each status value.

We’ve shipped fixes for a few scenarios that can cause this in 1902 but know there are some scenarios left.
    May we ask anyone still experiencing it on 1902 to gather verbose logs from the client and send a frown so we can troubleshoot additional scenarios that cause the error.

11. Add software updates package source restrictions or warnings

When a software updates package is created, the given path is cleared of any existing content. This is very destructive if an incorrect path is given. One of several things should happen:
    1. Restrict the location of software updates packages if another package is using the same folder or any folder below.
    2. Warn if additional content is detected in the given path for a software updates package.
    3. Not clear additional content from software updates packages source locations.

We recently ran into this with a co-worker making documentation and put in the root path for all of our packages…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. ADR – Software Updates Property Filters

When creating a new ADR software update you have the option to select the property filters and search criteria’s in the wizard. It would be beneficial for an advanced search technique or “wild card” to identify those filters that are broader. For Example: -%Cumulative Update for .NET Framework%Windows 10 Version 1809

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ADR specify group, deployment, and package name

Currently the naming of objects automatically takes the ADR rule name and appends a timestamp value. I would like to be able to specify my own naming text, e.g. "Monthly Updates - %MONTH% %YEAR%" for the software update group and deployment package. I would also like to specify the deployment names, e.g. "Monthly Updates - %MONTH% %YEAR% - No Reboot". If the ADR is run again, I want it to update the existing objects.

Even better if you simply allowed me to specify embedded PowerShell commands, e.g. "Monthly Updates - $((Get-Date).Month)-$((Get-Date).Year)". This can be done by simply processing the string…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. ADR-WIZARD - The ability to create additional deployments during the initial ADR set-up.

When creating an ADR the wizard looks to be limited to a single deployment. There is the ability to add additional deployments. However, It would be nice if the creation of multiple deployments could be accomplished within the initial ADR creation in the set-up wizard.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Auto update software on pc with software installed

A nice feature would could be if a PC already has a certian piece of software installed and I release a new version it will automatically install update. I could just use required deployment but that will install on all PCs which is not needed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Deploy patches to servers only after an event has occurred successfully during a defined period of time

Deploy patches to members of a server collection after a chosen event has completed successfully within a defined period of time, this would allow for a backup to occur for example before deploying the patches. This would then check that an event has happened before running the patch install process using ConfigMgr, and using status messages to create alerts based on event viewer this could then be used for non MS backup utilities.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Why cant be Dynamic Updates enabled for Windows 10 Servicing Model in SCCM

Dynamic update option is available to use “Upgrade Operating System” task sequence step. Why cant Dynamic Updates enabled for Windows 10 Servicing Model in SCCM?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. from All Software Updates right click and show machines that need the update

From All Software Updates Right click on the update, click on Show Machines that require the update and see a list of Machine names that need the update.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Implement Cluster Aware Updating in SCCM

I would be nice to have Cluster Aware Updating implemented in SCCM. Ultimately the way CAU currently does with WSUS, draining the nodes and then resuming them. This would help make patching go smoother in SCCM, when patching clusters. Currently I have 2 collections separating clusters and having to do normal reboots via SCCM, but staggering the times of these clusters, so there is no issue. Is CAU in the roadmap for SCCM?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow offline patching of Feature Updates

Currently (as far as I can tell anyway) there is no way to offline patch a feature update. I'm currently in the process of developing an upgrade strategy for moving from 1709 to 1809.

At the moment, I have to deploy the feature update, and once complete, the subsequent patches are applied soon after, increasing disruption to users already inconvenienced by having their computer offline for at least 30 minutes while the feature update applies.

It would be great if the feature update could be kept "up-to-date" by allowing offline patching, and therefore necessitating only a single reboot, which would…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base