Microsoft

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Feedback

Suggestion box powered by UserVoice

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, though we canā€™t promise to reply to all posts.

Please do not use UserVoice to report product bugs or for assisted support.
If you believe you have found a product bug, please send us a bug report through the Configuration Manager Console (1806 and newer). To do this, press the šŸ™‚ button in the top right corner and choose ā€œSend a Frownā€. For more details, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/understand/find-help.

If you require assisted support, please see https://aka.ms/cmcbsupport for more details.

Standard Disclaimer ā€“ our lawyers made us put this here ;-)
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, so you can give us feedback. Please note that the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please send only feature suggestions and ideas to improve Configuration Manager. Do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show Patch/Software Update Size

When building software update packages in SCCM we run into having to build a deployment package to see what size the updates are. The issue we are having is managing the size of these packages which are frequently getting into the multiple GB range. One we ran recently hit almost 6 GB.

This information is on the Windows Update Catalog site, but it doesn't appear to be in SCCM or WSUS. I'm guessing that it isn't in the data that is available to WSUS and as a result SCCM doesn't get it either. It would be very useful if weā€¦

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinkingā€¦)
    3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  2. retry failed software updates

This could be a config thing and if it is I'm sorry, I cannot find where.

Last month I grabbed all updates that have a required > 1 and deployed them (to test first of course). Now, several days (and more accurately, several maintenance windows) after they were deployed I have some updates that in the console show in monitoring\deployments\my deployment\error tab and on the client show as "past due - will be installed". The only way I know to fix these is to manually log into each server, possibly reboot them, then manually click on the retry button forā€¦

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  3. Add functionality to run scripts before and after software updates install

We need to be able to run either a VB or Powershell script before and after software updates install. Our example is so that we can put our monitoring system in outage mode and send emails to the support teams.

The 'Server Groups' pre-release feature has something similar, but does not currently work (it crashes Software Center when it runs).

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  4. Missing settings in Deploy Software Updates Template

Some new features of Software Updates Deployments are missing in the Template.
    This can be frustrating for Admins if they rely on these templates.
    All settings you can specify in a Deployment should be part of the Template

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Possibility to change the operator (or/and) when filtering patches

When you filter twice on the same criteria you cannot change the operator from or to and.
    It would be interesting to change the operators when filtering.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please forward internal links for Features on Demand and languagepacks to WSUS

On Windows 10 i can download and change the user language, but as SCCM-Client i use WSUS for Software updates. Windows 10 can't connect to Windows Update or WSUS to download LP's or Features. But both is in WSUS available. Only a Workaround (disable or remove the UseWSUSServer = 1 DWORD in Registry) make thr download available for a short time

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add 'Next Run Time' Column in the Automatic Deployment Rules

In the Automatic Deployment Rules window, it would be helpful to see the next scheduled time the ADR is supposed to run. If it doesn't have one, then the cell would be blank.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. ADR option: Exclude Downloaded or Deployed updates

Provide additional ADR options to exclude updates which have already been downloaded and deployed. This will keep SUGs cleaner and smaller for those who run a monthly ADR with the option required >=1.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Ability to set a site-wide default Maximum Run time

I see that there is another similar post about this but rather than MS just simply increasing the default max run time for CU's, why not give admins the ability to set the default Max Run Time centrally?

The amount of time a patch takes to install is going to vary based on the type of hardware being used. Where one company might have hardware that can do it in 30mins, others might need more like 45 mins.

It makes more sense for a setting like this to be managed centrally by admins.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  10. Additional filters for Automatic Deployment Rules

In Automatic Deployment Rules, you have the option to specify a few filters. It would be nice to have more filter options available. At a minimum, it would be nice to have Downloaded, Deployed, and Expired. Ideally, it would be nice to have all the same filters you can specify from the "All Software Updates" view.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Select Multiple Collections for Software Update Groups

It would nice if we could select multiple collections when deploying Software update groups. For example: We have a Server Pilot and Workstation Pilot. We are deploying the same Software update group why cant we be able to select multiple collections to deploy the SUG to.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Software Updates - Need an Option to Control the Auto deployment of Revised updates

WSUS has an inbuilt option to control the approval /Auto Approval of revised updates.
    However ConfigMgr is missing this feature. This is causing the revised updates to get auto installed on the clients if the deployment is active.
    The latest example for this issue was KB3172605. This was revised by MS and caused auto install with reboot on clients

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  13. Prevent A SUP Package from Overwriting a SUP Directory tree

At 3 customer sites, someone has mistakenly entered in an incorrect path for a SUP package and overwritten the package source for other packages. For example, it's common practice to use \server\share&lt;year>&lt;month> for package source. If I Package A uses \server\share&lt;year>&lt;month>, and then a Package B is created and uses \server\share&lt;year> as the package source, the <month> folder is overwritten and Package Source A has been corrupted. Might it be possible to prompt for "Are you SURE - this will overwrite the source for these packages:..." in such a scenario?

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Automatic Deployment Rules create 'available' deployment.

I would like to create my ADR deployments for servers as available instead of required. This allows more control over server patching. Currently I create the package as required and then I have to alter it for servers that I do not want unattended installations.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow User Defined Rings in Windows 10 Servicing

Put in category 'software updates' because that was the closest I can find.

As SCCM continues to add to/focus on/(fix?) Windows 10 servicing, it would be nice to have user defined servicing rings.

The currently available CB/CBB certainly work. However, in reality, larger organizations would have a much deeper testing model. We will still be configuring these groups for testing, but the Win10 rings still show only 2 groups.

Allow a number (maybe up to 5?10?) of user defined rings that will show in the servicing page. These user defined rings would be used in addition to the existing 2ā€¦

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Better version awareness for "Schedule Updates" and Windows 10

Currently, if I use "Schedule Updates" to apply updates to a Windows 10 1703 .wim, it lists patches for 1511, 1607, and 1703.

It would be nice if it was aware of the version of Windows 10 that you are working with and only present the applicable updates.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow us to configure Proxy server settings for the console that is downloading Software Updates

On our Primary site server, under Admin > Site System properties, we have set the proxy settings with username and password.

In our company, Domain Admins are blocked at the proxy server from accessing the internet. My colleague, who is an SCCM admin, but not a Domain Admin, can download Software Updates and add them to a Deployment Package. I am a Domain Admin, and when I try this, it fails with: "Error: Failed to download content ID 16902216. Error %1 is not a valid Win32 application."

So, that proxy setting is used by some functions of ConfigMgr, but notā€¦

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add support for Drivers Update Classification (as we had in CM 2007)

to update Surface Hardware with latest Firmware and Drivers we need Drivers category in configmgr 2012 and later as we had it in CM 2007.

That would be much easier than deploying an msi file.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
  19. PatchDownloader Retry (Increase ADR reliability)

Increase the redundancy and reliability of the PatchDownloader process. I am often at customers where the process fails to download one or more updates which affect ADRs (and admin frustration). It would be awesome if the process included extra checks or attempted to download the patch 1 or more times before declaring a failure.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Windows 10 Servicing Dashboard: Make it clickable

When I go to the Windows 10 Servicing Dashboard, I got a nice PieChart of the Windows 10 Clients and their Version.
    But when I click on the PieChart, nothing happens. It would be great to have the same experience on this Dashboard like on the SCEP Dashboards.
    That means, if I click on the PieChart one of the Windows 10 Version, a new collection would be opened, with the corresponding Devices.

193 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinkingā€¦)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriateā€¦  ·  Admin →
1 2 9 11 13 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base