Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3rd Party Patching - SCUP Integration with SCCM Console

Integrate the SCUP tool on to SCCM Admin Console. This will give a single pane of glass view for all patching activities (including importing 3rd party patches).

2,906 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      68 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re making some good progress on this. We’re going to deliver these improvements in multiple phases. Currently working on phase 1, which will make 3rd party patches easier to use out of the gate, just in the sccm console.

• Install and Shutdown / Install and reboot with Software Updates

In Windows client, after receiving software updates from the SUP, I want you to be able to use the" install and reboot / shutdown and update" botton.

752 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        started  ·  14 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Ability to automatically install Windows 10 ADK releases (or rollback or apply hotfix) via Updates and Servicing.

The windows 10 adk has changed a few times since the original release of Windows 10, there have been two major releases and one hotfix to fix issues with the second release, as a consequence of that many people got jittery about upgrading to ADK 10 1511.

How are we going to deal with this in a good way, a really good way. Prior to this we didn't have to upgrade our boot images every 6 months or so.

Here's the suggestion:-

#1. When we update from 1602 to 1607 (or whatever) to support the next generation of Windows, it…

478 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          13 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          Noted  ·  sangeevsangeev responded

Updated to Noted. We’ve been discussing the same in our planning meetings.

Thanks,
          BobMN on behalf of SangeeV for SCCM OS Deployment

• Implement native cluster aware patching within SCCM to support cluster aware updating

Implement native cluster aware patching with SCCM to support cluster aware updating.

392 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            11 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Implement function to remove Windows Updates from clients with Software Update Point

With a standalone WSUS-Server deployed Windows Updates can be uninstalled/removed from clients. With SCCM SUP this is not possible,
            Implement a function to remove installed Windows Updates from clients.

278 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Software Update Patch Tuesday Scheduling

It would be really great if when configuring an Automated Deployment Rule you could configure it to run based on the number of days / weeks since "patch Tuesday" (especially in countries other than the USA where "patch Tuesday" is actually a Wednesday and not necessarily the second Wednesday of each month). I currently get around this by having a script detect when patch Tuesday has passed and subsequently execute an ADR and create one or more deployments based on the number of weeks since that date. This works fine, but an in product solution would be better

250 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                33 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • 3rd Party Patching - Catalogs

Enable easier integration with partner products or have the ability to pull down 3rd party catalogs.

189 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  Noted  ·  2 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Exclude Updates

The ability to exclude a single or multiple updates with a simple Right Click > Exclude or Menu item.

128 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    11 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add support for "Hotfix" Update classification

SCCM should be able to support all updates made available in the MS catalog.
                    The MS Update Catalog lists hotfixes which makes WSUS more useful than SCCM. If WSUS can rollout a hotfix why can't SCCM?
                    Example KB2728738 is a hotfix available in the MS Update Catalog (http://Catalog.Update.microsoft.com/v7/Site/Search.aspx?q=2728738) yet it can not be imported to SCCM as the "Hotfix" class is not available.
                    MS Support suggest to follow an non MS consultants blog http://ccmexec.com/2012/02/installing-multiple-windows-7-hotfixes-msu-with-sccm/
                    As MS continue to create more and more Hotfixes in replacement of proper updates this makes SCCM Update component less and less useful.

122 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Windows 10 Servicing Dashboard: Make it clickable

When I go to the Windows 10 Servicing Dashboard, I got a nice PieChart of the Windows 10 Clients and their Version.
                      But when I click on the PieChart, nothing happens. It would be great to have the same experience on this Dashboard like on the SCEP Dashboards.
                      That means, if I click on the PieChart one of the Windows 10 Version, a new collection would be opened, with the corresponding Devices.

95 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        5 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Software Updates - Need an Option to Control the Auto deployment of Revised updates

WSUS has an inbuilt option to control the approval /Auto Approval of revised updates.
                        However ConfigMgr is missing this feature. This is causing the revised updates to get auto installed on the clients if the deployment is active.
                        The latest example for this issue was KB3172605. This was revised by MS and caused auto install with reboot on clients

90 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Noted  ·  1 comment  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • More persistent Software Update restart notification

Currently behavior is that if Software Updates have installed and a restart is required, initial notification will pop up and then disappear. User may not have seen notification and often will not see any further notifications unless they happen to be in front of the system at just the right time or see the final no-dismiss dialog.

Would be great to have the initial restart dialog remain on screen until user dismisses (or initiates restart) to ensure dialog is seen by user. Dialog should include time remaining to restart deadline.

85 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Maintenance window relative to patch Tuesday

Maintenance window relative to patch Tuesday

It would be very helpful to be able to set maintenance windows to be relative to Patch Tuesday. For example, apply patches on the 1st Saturday after patch Tuesday, or the second Sunday after patch Tuesday. Since patch Tuesday changes each month, the current "second Saturday of the month" type options are not useful when Patch Tuesday could fall before or after that depending on the calendar.

70 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              Noted  ·  7 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • SCCM updates: User Experience - Reboot notifications

Here is the User experience for the update process as I understand it:

1. System tray balloon appears saying 'software changes are required'

2. System tray balloon appears saying 'downloading and installing software'

3. System tray balloon appears saying 'Restart required: Recently installed updates require your machine to be restarted'

4. *It is here I would like the larger temporary notification reboot window to appear but it doesn't.

5. Permanent notification reboot window appears and stays on the screen

I would like option 4 to be possible. Without this it seems quite easy for users to miss seeing the balloon…

67 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Configure multiple deployments in One Software Update Group

Hi,

After the successful implementation of the following, https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8386953-configure-multiple-deployments-in-an-automatic-dep, which is really nice. How about the possibility to extend this and instead of creating several SUGs with different deployments create one SUG with multiple deployments?

55 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  9 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow us to categorise Software Updates

We have a few Software Updates that we just don't deploy. Every month, our list of "Needed, but not deployed" updates show these updates (for example, IE10). I want a way of filtering these out so we don't accidentally deploy them.

I tried doing a search by adding the article IDs, but this doesn't work (as the attached screenshot shows).

Maybe allow us to add a custom category for individual updates (such as "Do not deploy"), so we can then include these in our search.

54 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    Noted  ·  6 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Create folders under Software Updates

Allow the creation of folders under Software Updates\Software Update Groups, Deployment Packages and Automatic Deployment Rules.

53 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Bring download timeout for patches inline with other products e.g. InternetExplorer, .Net-applications

From case "117070515991825

When your SUP tries to download big Windows Updates files, the updates are timed-out because:

If the proxy doesn’t send HTTP/1.1, Status: Ok in 30 seconds, this will cause the SCCM server to send a Reset flag and close the connection.

SCCM HTTP 30 seconds timeout it's hardcoded and cannot be changed.

Please make the download read/write timeout configurable or bring it inline with standard http timeout.

46 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • ConfigMgr SUM installs should update the date of last install in Windows Update control panel applet

When you only use ConfigMgr to install updates, the date on the Windows Update control panel applet often reflects something that is really inaccurate as ConfigMgr doesn't update it. This often leads to a very negative reaction of "I thought those darn ConfigMgr admins were updating our workstations and servers!?!" And then we have to explain that we are, but that date doesn't get changed.

Can we please just ensure that when Software Update Management installs any updates, the Windows Update control panel applet gets set to the current date?

I stole the screenshots from this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b33dd5b2-64b3-476d-8fc5-232cbafced47/sccm-updates-are-installed-but-windows-update-status-wrong?forum=ConfigMgrCompliance

And I…

45 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add support for Drivers Update Classification (as we had in CM 2007)

to update Surface Hardware with latest Firmware and Drivers we need Drivers category in configmgr 2012 and later as we had it in CM 2007.

That would be much easier than deploying an msi file.

44 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base