Microsoft

System Center Configuration Manager Feedback

Ideas

What features would you like to see?

All of the feedback that you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building System Center Configuration Manager, though we can’t promise to reply to all posts.

Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the System Center Configuration Manager feedback site is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. See the “User Voice Terms of Service” link below for more information.

How can we improve Configuration Manager?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3rd Party Patching - SCUP Integration with SCCM Console

Integrate the SCUP tool on to SCCM Admin Console. This will give a single pane of glass view for all patching activities (including importing 3rd party patches).

1,424 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Noted  ·  28 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Check for running .exe, give the User the option to postpone

It would be nice to have an integrated solution for that. I would like to have the option to add the programs ".exe" names to the application in sccm. during deployment, if the .exe is currently running, it should ask the user to close it or give the options:
      - postpone deployment
      - close the application and start update immediatly

if the .exe is not running, it should just go ahead and install it without asking.

and also a silent version of this: check if the .exe is currently running, if no -> go ahead and install. if it's running…

1,361 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Noted  ·  24 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Fix the Software Update Task Sequence (built-in TS patching during OSD)

How is this still a problem? Ask any MVP and they all agree: the built-in task sequence for patching during OSD doesn't work. It doesn't survive double reboots, it has a upper patch limit before it crashes ... it's basically garbage. I don't mind making golden images in MDT, but I shouldn't _have_ to ... and yet I do. I makes SCCM feel less like a singular solution.

1,003 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          25 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m updating the status. For 1606 we’ve made some changes, listed below.
          As more are added we’ll update what Tech Preview/Release they appear in.

Timeout scan is now configurable
          We added a new task sequence variable to allow a configurable timeout for scan. Variable name is SMSTSSoftwareUpdateScanTimeout, default is 30 minutes. Value is set in seconds so an hour is 60×60=3600

Logging changes
          In the SMSTS.log we list the log files to check for updates download and evaluation.
          These are UpdateDeployment.log, UpdatesHandler.log, WUAHandler.log and WindowsUpdate.log

New Option for full scan
          There’s a new checkbox added to the Install Updates step – ‘Evaluate software updates from cached scan results’
          If the checkbox is on we use cached results, if the checkbox is off we do a full scan
          Task Sequences that are upgraded will have this option checked on – this is parity with the existing behavior

Power management changes…

• Daisy chain Task Sequences (OSD and non-OSD)

I would like to see the ability to launch one task sequence from within another task sequence. For some processes, you run the same steps across multiple deployments. Today, you have to duplicate these steps across many task sequences. The ability to execute a task sequence from a task sequence would alleviate this need and reduce errors and inconsistencies for administrators.

862 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            21 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            planned  ·  sangeevsangeev responded

This item is now planned for future release – we’ll update later which Tech Preview this feature will be available in.

RE: Ben – we have an open Doc. item for clarifying non-OSD task sequence use. I’ve added your comments to that item – thanks for passing them on

RE: David Stein – agreed – that’s something we want to avoid. After prototyping one of the first things we did was list all potential issues like this and create a test case for each – 50+ from that exercise and growing.

• Install and Shutdown / Install and reboot with Software Updates

In Windows client, after receiving software updates from the SUP, I want you to be able to use the" install and reboot / shutdown and update" botton.

632 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              started  ·  12 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make all dialogs shown to the end-user customizable and include company logo

A truly great feature would be to be able to customize all dialogs show to the end-user, both for OSD, but also reboot prompts basically all dialogs shown to the end-user.
              Adding a company logo so that the end-user actually knows it is from our company and trustworthy.

574 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                15 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Using express installation files

Integration of the express installation files from WSUS
                I think this is becoming mandatory with the size of updates of Windows 10.

554 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Include the Right Click tools kit as part of the Console, not as a seperate download addon

Include the Right Click tools adon as part of the Console install, not as a seperate download addon

508 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    15 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow for dynamically selecting Apply Driver Packages

Allow for dynamically selecting Apply Driver Packages, pretty much like it works for normal packages (applications). This would reduce the number of hardcoded Apply Driver Package in the task sequence.

496 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      Noted  ·  16 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • SCCM Report - Easy way to create Report & Dashboard

Not really easy to create some SCCM report or Dashboard if your're not a SQL DBA .. even with Report Builder.
                      Could be awesome to have a new tool where Reports or Dashbaord could be created easily whithout searching which SQL views I need ..ect ... Like some others concurrent application give.

419 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        17 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Preferred Software Update Points

Now that we have the option to define both Distribution Points and Management Points as preferred, it'd be terrific if we could have the same option for Software Update Points. It would make a strong case when designing a flat hierarchy.

382 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Noted  ·  17 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow us to disable, hide or edit the "Confirm that you want to install a new operating system on your computer" popup

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to be able to disable the "Confirm that you want to install a new operating system on your computer" prompt that you see when you launch an OSD task sequence in Windows.

Right now you cannot change this behaviour, in addition you cannot even customize the text.

What I'd like to see is the following (particularly with the Windows 10 Upgrade task sequence being used within Windows.)

* ability to DISABLE this popup via the deploy ts wizard
                          * ability to EDIT the popup's text to something more 'fitting' (think about Upgrade...)

and…

320 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            14 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Enable AMT Wakeup Function in ConfigMgr CurrentBranch

In ConfigMgr Current Branch the complete OOB Management Function including AMT Wakeup Function was removed.

I would love to still have the AMT Wakeup Function because it was a better and more reliable alternative instead of using Wake On Lan.

It would be great if this function could be integrated again in future builds of ConfigMgr.

320 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              Noted  ·  17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Implement native cluster aware patching within SCCM to support cluster aware updating

Implement native cluster aware patching with SCCM to support cluster aware updating.

300 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                8 comments  ·  Software Updates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Collapsable Task Sequence groups

Allow the groups in a Task Sequence to be collapsed allowing a better overall view.

299 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  Noted  ·  12 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Option to uninstall an application when a user or device falls out of scope of the collection

This is a buggy, Would we like the option to have ' Uninstall Application when Resource falls out of scope of this collection' when an application is deployed to a collection, this would save us having to create 2 collections ( install and uninstall) and to deployments. This would save SO much time and reduce the complicity of application management.

280 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    Noted  ·  10 comments  ·  Application Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Show Powershell equivalent command(s) at any wizard completion

At wizard completion for anything, show the Powershell cmdlet equivalent like in other System Center products.

279 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      Noted  ·  10 comments  ·  Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Ability to automatically install Windows 10 ADK releases (or rollback or apply hotfix) via Updates and Servicing.

The windows 10 adk has changed a few times since the original release of Windows 10, there have been two major releases and one hotfix to fix issues with the second release, as a consequence of that many people got jittery about upgrading to ADK 10 1511.

How are we going to deal with this in a good way, a really good way. Prior to this we didn't have to upgrade our boot images every 6 months or so.

Here's the suggestion:-

#1. When we update from 1602 to 1607 (or whatever) to support the next generation of Windows, it…

275 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        9 comments  ·  Setup and Server Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        Noted  ·  sangeevsangeev responded

Updated to Noted. We’ve been discussing the same in our planning meetings.

Thanks,
                                        BobMN on behalf of SangeeV for SCCM OS Deployment

• automatically search all sub-nodes

Currently, when changing nodes from Application, to Packages to Collection, every time you begin a search, you must re-check the box to 'Search all Sub-nodes'. As the average SCCM admin might make dozens of searches a day to find content, computers, collections, this is really irritating. It would be a better behavior to automatically search all sub-nodes.

271 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          Noted  ·  11 comments  ·  Admin Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Convert from Legacy BIOS to UEFI using one task sequence

Scenario:
                                          You have a current environment where you have deployed Windows 7 x64 OS, or similar, and you have your BIOS configured in Legacy mode.
                                          You would like to be able to take advantage of the new Windows 10 features, such as "Credential Guard" therefore you need to enable Secure Boot and UEFI BIOS.
                                          You would like to do this in one task sequence.

This scenario currently is not possible because SCCM knows if you are running UEFI or not - and has builtin safeguards.

Workaround:
                                          Currently it's possible to create 2 task sequences.
                                          1 Task contains the following:
                                          Script…

259 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            6 comments  ·  Operating System Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 60 61
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base